Allegan Central

bobw4

Allegan County Sheriff went encrypted a week ago (4/26). Unfortunately for us scanner listeners, the word is that two adjacent counties to Allegan County that are currently not encrypted (for the most part) are headed in that direction as well.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Allegan County Sheriff went encrypted a week ago (4/26). Unfortunately for us scanner listeners, the word is that two adjacent counties to Allegan County that are currently not encrypted (for the most part) are headed in that direction as well.
Do you happen to know which ones?

RayAir

MPSCS ADP CKR169 is the most common and universally used.
-mpscs

RayAir

Barry & Ottawa Counties
Barry Co Sheriff is against encryption of all talkgroups. Ottawa, Eaton, Kent, Muskegon, and Allegan all have ADP encrypted talkgroups. Some more than others.

The same state ADP key is also used in Marquette, Ingham, Clinton, Genesee, Lapeer and a couple Jackson and Wayne County users.

They're slapping this low cost encryption on everything.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Barry Co Sheriff is against encryption of all talkgroups. Ottawa, Eaton, Kent, Muskegon, and Allegan all have ADP encrypted talkgroups. Some more than others.

The same state ADP key is also used in Marquette, Ingham, Clinton, Genesee, Lapeer and a couple Jackson and Wayne County users.

They're slapping this low cost encryption on everything.
I appreciate the information. A friend of mine has a house on Gunn Lake and I visit, plus I set up his SDS100. My understanding is his house is in Barry County, and across the road is Allegan County. I called him when I read about the encryption, and he wasn't happy either. We also set up Barry County talk groups and MSP, so he's still hearing traffic.

RayAir

I appreciate the information. A friend of mine has a house on Gunn Lake and I visit, plus I set up his SDS100. My understanding is his house is in Barry County, and across the road is Allegan County. I called him when I read about the encryption, and he wasn't happy either. We also set up Barry County talk groups and MSP, so he's still hearing traffic.

It's unfortunate they all want to hide.
5 years ago there was virtually no encryption near me.
Now it is 50% in my county and 100% encryption in the closest adjacent county. Then all police and proprietary fire groups are encrypted in the other county i can pick up.

Take care.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
The reason departments are going to encryption is this, in Kent County civilians were showing up at scenes before the police got there. When the police arrived they found civilians inside houses etc. plus the people posting on social media. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Paul A. Bodnar Kalamazoo PD (ret)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The reason departments are going to encryption is this, in Kent County civilians were showing up at scenes before the police got there. When the police arrived they found civilians inside houses etc. plus the people posting on social media. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Paul A. Bodnar Kalamazoo PD (ret)
I've heard this "civilians showing up before....." story many times, but have yet to see of an arrest(s) made. It's like the "officer safety" argument from departments, but if you ask them to point to an incident where officer safety was compromised by law abiding citizens, they can't. It's the same excuse heard over and over, except once systems are encrypted, they can't point to a decrease in crime or that civilians don't still show up at scenes. The truth is the departments were sold on an encryption by fear mongering sales people, they can control the message instead of the civilians telling what they heard and question what is being told.

The generations have changed, social media has taken the place of the 5 o'clock news, and any mope with a phone can stream the local police with very little delay in transmissions. If this is ever brought up, it's the old "damn the torpedoes, we can rebroadcast whatever we want" until it's encrypted and the cries are heard "they shouldn't do this, at least don't encrypt the patrol channels!" Same old song and dance no matter what state or municipality you listen to.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
This sucks!
I just bought an SDS200 and all these freqs in my area are going encrypted! Allegan Dispatch was one of my favorites, too. Very active and interesting.