Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Situational Awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Ok gang for those who are in the ARES, What do you use to help with the disaster Awareness .

For me I use The Scanner, Am/FM/TV sources and for the software I have started using the Depication Maping software.

Thanks for your response and for the admins if this is in the wrong fourm please move to the right one with my thanks.

N5TWB

Ok gang for those who are in the ARES, What do you use to help with the disaster Awareness .

For me I use The Scanner, Am/FM/TV sources and for the software I have started using the Depication Maping software.

Thanks for your response and for the admins if this is in the wrong fourm please move to the right one with my thanks.

I am part of ARES in my county but I'm not sure what you are asking when you say disaster awareness. Also, what is "Depication Mapping"? I'll try to answer but you are going to have to translate for better understanding and better answers.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Also, what is "Depication Mapping"?
I think the OP is referring to Depiction.

I've seen Depiction being used to monitor the locations of assets during ARES support of a bike ride. There's an add-on to Depiction that allows it to receive and display APRS position reports, but it is not a full-featured APRS client like UI-View or APRSIS/32. While Depiction has some nice ad-hoc mapping capabilities, it still requires a qualified operator to input the data.

N5TWB

I think the OP is referring to Depiction.

I've seen Depiction being used to monitor the locations of assets during ARES support of a bike ride. There's an add-on to Depiction that allows it to receive and display APRS position reports, but it is not a full-featured APRS client like UI-View or APRSIS/32. While Depiction has some nice ad-hoc mapping capabilities, it still requires a qualified operator to input the data.

Thanks for that little bit of education as the ARCs here support multiple bike rides & running events. I'll look into that as we've not found the perfect solution to integrate routes with APRS data.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Thanks W9RXR, Depiction Mapping Software was the one I was refering to it.

For the monitoring of ARES assets and such. From what I have from their website. The software has been used for races and other public functions. I think they may have a free viewer for some of the mapping depictions that are on their website for examples.

I am not in no way saying a cure for all Disaster situations.

LtDoc

I like 'Depiction'. It does what it claims. No, it's not a 'dedicated' APRS program and makes no claims that it is. It's also not a 'give away' program (hams/volunteers do get a discount though).
If it's used correctly, meaning it does take some learning, it does at least as well as any other programs I've ever seen. It's a tool, not an end in it's self.
- 'Doc

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Ok gang for those who are in the ARES, What do you use to help with the disaster Awareness ? YOUR HEAD

WX9EMS

I use everything to my advantage. TV, broadcast radio, all hazards, my cell, email, monitor statewide and local gov't frequencies, as well as Ham related technologies (WL2K, APRS). I also have a very good working relationship with the county's emergency manager, which sometimes gives me a heads up on possible concerns and deployment. As well as being in the Fire Service and an EMT for several years helps too. We have a pretty good ARES organisation going on up here in Wisconsin and I am proud to be a part of it. And the biggest part is situational awareness...what you see going on around you!

I will have to look into Depiction...sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.