American Ambulance in Norwich Connecticut

MrBruce

Premium Subscriber
I am in southeastern Connecticut. Up until recently, I was able to receive American Ambulance on 155.2200 Mhz. Although the signal was weak at times, I was still able to receive it. I am not exactly sure when that was no longer possible, but as I continue to check my Proscan logs for possible signs of a logged transmission, my logs go back several weeks with no capture of American Ambulance in Norwich on 155.2200 MHz.
I believe their ownership may now be under Hartford Hospital, while I did research under that name, I did not come up with frequency listed for Hartford Hospital in Norwich.
Are they still operating on 155.2200 Mhz or have they switched to another system or frequency?
Thanks in advance.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Groton and I hear dispatch and most converstions. Occasionally one side of the conversation breaks squelch but is only noise. Using a Pro-433 and PSR-600 for monitoring 155.22. Both are on an outside discone.

Last edited:

MrBruce

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Groton and I hear dispatch and most converstions. Occasionally one side of the conversation breaks squelch but is only noise. Using a Pro-433 and PSR-600 for monitoring 155.22. Both are on an outside discone.
I have a Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2, all up to date on upgrades and firmware version. Not sure if they are having antenna issues or something, but with squelch at 1, I get nothing from them. I truthfully cannot tell you exactly when I last heard them, sometimes with so much going on, you tend to overlook something missing after a while. I hear other Norwich communications just fine though.
Edit: update, now this is weird, my ProScan log finally shows 155.22000.png

Last edited:

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I posted about this way back in December. I used to hear them fine here in Milford, up to about September 2023. Their transmitter or antenna are having issues for sure. Or they lowered their output power intentionally, IDK. I do hear them once in a while when the band conditions allow, but very rare.
See my post here.

MrBruce

Premium Subscriber
I posted about this way back in December. I used to hear them fine here in Milford, up to about September 2023. Their transmitter or antenna are having issues for sure. Or they lowered their output power intentionally, IDK. I do hear them once in a while when the band conditions allow, but very rare.
See my post here.
Yes, I did see your post a week or so ago, but then I got to wondering and posted my own newer post asking basically the same question. Then I looked at my ProScan log a little bit more closely and see I got an actual capture a few seconds long. Going back, I don't know, maybe a month ago, I used to hear them on a regular basis, well, now, not so much anymore. I have more than one scanner I still use a Radio Shack brand Pro-52 portable with 155.2200 programmed into it, it also has not been getting a regular capture as of late. With all the hills in Norwich, they need all the RF power or antenna height they can get. Their antenna isn't the tallest landmark in that area, I know that for sure.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I did see your post a week or so ago, but then I got to wondering and posted my own newer post asking basically the same question. Then I looked at my ProScan log a little bit more closely and see I got an actual capture a few seconds long. Going back, I don't know, maybe a month ago, I used to hear them on a regular basis, well, now, not so much anymore. I have more than one scanner I still use a Radio Shack brand Pro-52 portable with 155.2200 programmed into it, it also has not been getting a regular capture as of late. With all the hills in Norwich, they need all the RF power or antenna height they can get. Their antenna isn't the tallest landmark in that area, I know that for sure.
Yes I am pretty far away and you wouldn't expect me to hear them. But something definitely changed back in September. And its not my setup. I have several radios and antennas, all which continue to hear everything else out that way normally for me. There are a lot of stations on 155.220, including in Suffolk County. I have seen it in the past where a station owner was asked to lower its power to the lowest it can without affecting the systems operations. Just another possibility. But I would guess it is a transmitter problem or antenna problem.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
While American Ambulance is now Hartford Healthcare Emergency Medical Service, it remains operational as "American Ambulance."
The dispatch frequency remains the same. I hear it all day, every day. 155.2200, PL 173.8

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
American is our ambulance out at "da 'Woods". We hear them all the time on 155.2200 at the scanner in the station.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
American is our ambulance out at "da 'Woods". We hear them all the time on 155.2200 at the scanner in the station.
Yes I listened to them all of the time to hear the calls at da Woods. It's been a while where I've been able to hear them consistently. I hear them maybe a handful of times a week now, if that. Same setup here as always. Nothing changed here. I listen and talk to Cape Cod 2-meter repeaters on the same antenna all of the time with the beam pointed right over and through the path of American. If they are getting reliable comms between each other, they will probably never notice, and would have no reason to do anything.
Bob

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Yes I listened to them all of the time to hear the calls at da Woods. It's been a while where I've been able to hear them consistently. I hear them maybe a handful of times a week now, if that. Same setup here as always. Nothing changed here. I listen and talk to Cape Cod 2-meter repeaters on the same antenna all of the time with the beam pointed right over and through the path of American. If they are getting reliable comms between each other, they will probably never notice, and would have no reason to do anything.
Bob
I got to get my home rig set up again, I do have the portable. I'll listen for you. Hope all is well my friend!

MrBruce

Premium Subscriber
Just an update, I do not what they changed but, I can hear American Ambulance in Norwich loud and clear now in Groton, CT, even with an indoor antenna on a portable scanner. I am sure other listeners out there are getting the same result now? 155.2200 MHz.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Just an update, I do not what they changed but, I can hear American Ambulance in Norwich loud and clear now in Groton, CT, even with an indoor antenna on a portable scanner. I am sure other listeners out there are getting the same result now? 155.2200 MHz.
Yes I just returned back from vacation, and I an again able to receive them here in Milford also.