Amherst pd/ Niagara county silent on SDS-100

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
I have had the sds-100 for a bout 5 months now. I recently purchased the omnix scanner antenna and installed it outside on the roof. I am located in cheektowaga and for the past 3 days amherst police and Niagara county P25 are both silent on my sds-100. They are both on 423-424 mhz. I have tried multiple antennas both outside and portable on the unit. I can not receive a signal. I have a vertex p824 radio sitting next to me that picks up amherst PD without any issues at all!. I have played with the filter settings, replaced the sd card but still nothing. Everything else i have programmed comes in without issues including Genesee, orleans, wyoming and chatauqua county. I am at a loss and am considering send it uniden for a possibly repair. Anyone have any suggestions i can try or maybe purchase a filter. It is weird that just the 424 mhz area is deaf.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I have had the sds-100 for a bout 5 months now. I recently purchased the omnix scanner antenna and installed it outside on the roof. I am located in cheektowaga and for the past 3 days amherst police and Niagara county P25 are both silent on my sds-100. They are both on 423-424 mhz. I have tried multiple antennas both outside and portable on the unit. I can not receive a signal. I have a vertex p824 radio sitting next to me that picks up amherst PD without any issues at all!. I am only 8 miles away from amherst pd station. I have played with the filter settings, replaced the sd card but still nothing. Everything else i have programmed comes in without issues including Genesee, orleans, wyoming and chatauqua county. I am at a loss and am considering send it uniden for a possibly repair. Anyone have any suggestions i can try or maybe purchase a filter. It is weird that just the 424 mhz area is deaf.
It doesn't matter where their station is, what matters is where is their repeater site or trunk site is and what you have for your location and range on the SDS.

The first question... Did you receive them on the SDS before you changed antenna? Have you set your SDS for your location and set the range to include wherever their radio site (tower) is located? Did you by any chance hit the AVOID key on their frequency?

If you are using your zipcode for your location, or a GPS Puck for your location.. you may need to expand your range setting.

It would be highly unlikely that the radio cannot receive a small set of frequencies out of a large slice of radio spectrum.

wtp

broadcast/custom screen...

Program Band
Scroll to an entry then enter the upper and lower limits of any frequency band you want to make

i doubt it is set, but it could be.
is there [SCR] showing on the display ?

Ncfirewire

Premium Subscriber
I would first take it with you and drive North to see if it starts working. If it works you can rule out that the scanner itself is broken.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
i actually tried that a bit yesterday. I had to go up transit road to genesee. I did not get amherst pd or niagara cty. The real weird part is last night and currently this morning both are coming in. I don't know know if the scanner got too warm being on all the time or whats going on. I will have to watch if for next couple days and hope the signal stays. With the omnix antenna on the roof i should have no issues getting amherst PD or niagara cty for that matter.

k2hz

Database Admin
i actually tried that a bit yesterday. I had to go up transit road to genesee. I did not get amherst pd or niagara cty. The real weird part is last night and currently this morning both are coming in. I don't know know if the scanner got too warm being on all the time or whats going on. I will have to watch if for next couple days and hope the signal stays. With the omnix antenna on the roof i should have no issues getting amherst PD or niagara cty for that matter.
That is typical of the SDS100 problem with desense from strong in-band signals. If you are near the tower of a system in the same band you are monitoring more distant system reception cuts out when the local system is busy with many active channels. The problem can also change if the local system CC rotates to a different frequency. I am in Monroe County and my reception of Genesee County varies with how active Monroe West is. External bandpass filters don't help since the problem is in-band interference. Antenna on the roof can make problem worse since it makes local signals more likely to overload the SDS-100. If you are in an area with strong in-band signals the SDS-100 is great for monitoring the local P25 system but very erratic for distant systems.

lkas

Premium Subscriber
I have had issues with picking up Amherst Pd for over a year with my SDS100. i even have the omni X antenna on my roof. I have vertex p824 radio which picks it up without missing a beat so i know when they are broadcasting. Anyway, i programmed the SAIA repeater feed TGID 500128 and two days ago i heard every tranmission. I thought that would end my issues. Well, today the TGID is deaf as well as i am still having issues with the 424.300 freq. I have tried every setting in the radio without much luck. Does anyone know if they shut off the SAIA repeater TGID? It is weird i picked it up two days ago and know it is gone. I even programmed in the new grand island site.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
I have had issues with picking up Amherst Pd for over a year with my SDS100. i even have the omni X antenna on my roof. I have vertex p824 radio which picks it up without missing a beat so i know when they are broadcasting. Anyway, i programmed the SAIA repeater feed TGID 500128 and two days ago i heard every tranmission. I thought that would end my issues. Well, today the TGID is deaf as well as i am still having issues with the 424.300 freq. I have tried every setting in the radio without much luck. Does anyone know if they shut off the SAIA repeater TGID? It is weird i picked it up two days ago and know it is gone. I even programmed in the new grand island site.
From what I've understood, and I think it was covered somewhere on the forums in the past, which is why its coming to mind, the Amherst PD TG on SaiaNet is 1, an "on demand" TG, meaning, a radio affiliated to SaiaNet has to have that TG selected. 2, its only carried on that site that the radio that is affiliated to the TG is on. So, summertime, when UB Police is "slow" and no one there is monitoring Amherst on their SaiaNet radios, you won't hear Amherst. Theoretically speaking, if the system allowed it, if someone on SaiaNet had the Amherst PD TG on, and was in, well say Syracuse, and no one else was on that TG elsewhere, it would "drag" that TG on to the Syracuse tower. Monitoring it on the UB, N Buffalo and HSBC sites are probably your best chances. Who knows, maybe the GI tower has UB units affiliating to it which would "drag" the Amherst PD TG on it as well, I haven't monitored GI site much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.