Amplified speaker mic / lapel speaker for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
So will this lapel spkr/mic work with the TRX-1? Mot sure I even need it, as I am more than satisfied and impressed with the audio from this scanner. I am only thinking of when I am driving and the scanner is on the cradle in my car, would be very convenient to have good clear sound close to the ear in a noisy environment.

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have been thru two of the Spectrum Force lapel speakers and they were very cheap and tinny sounding. I saw a lapel spkr on eBay recently for under $20 if memory serves me right, but the listing was in the UK and not so sure about that. I might go back and search the reviews on that one. I would pull the trigger on the Valor if I knew for sure it would work with the TRX-1. Someone needs to come out with a good quality lapel spkr for scanners that would work with all common 1/8 connectors. They would make a killing.

JD

Blackswan73

So will this lapel spkr/mic work with the TRX-1? Mot sure I even need it, as I am more than satisfied and impressed with the audio from this scanner. I am only thinking of when I am driving and the scanner is on the cradle in my car, would be very convenient to have good clear sound close to the ear in a noisy environment.

JD
kf4anc
If it works on a PSR 800, as was posted earlier, then most likely it will work on a TRX 1, since they are basically the same radio. Also should work on the 668, Pro 18, 1080, 1088, 1095, 1098, and the TRX 2, since all these radios are basically the same. I haven't tested it on my 1080 due to cost, but I am confident it will work. A 3.5mm jack is an industry standard used on on many audio products.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Not very lucky predicting compatibility here. I was curious so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the K-PO shoulder/lapel speaker from the UK dealer on eBay. See how that goes. I would have to hear a review on the Valor from someone who has actually used it with their TRX-1 before I throw a C-note and change out there with high hopes. If that happens, I will still probably buy and use the K-PO as a backup. I appreciate the suggestion, tho.

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A 3.5mm jack is an industry standard used on on many audio products.[/QUOTE said:
I seem to remember reading something long before I bought the TRX-1 about the audio jack being 'non-standard'? My memory files might be corrupted tho :)

JD
kf4anc

DavidNVA

Just received mine today from ScannerMaster. Wow, you were not kidding about this thing being loud! Sounds great with the 436! Appreciate the review, was the 1st I read about it.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
How long does the speaker mike "battery" holdup now that you have had it awhile....Does using the speaker lapel mike cut scanner battery power ??....TY

DavidNVA

I'm getting about the same, 16+ hours with my BCD436 set at a volume of 2-3 (and it's plenty loud enough at that).

I did pick up another battery and a proper charger off Amazon as I don't like charging batteries in devices.

The only complaint I have after a few weeks is the rubber port covers are annoying and always coming undone. Already lost one of them and considering ripping them all off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d004ff332144c917c7f5a616838fa111.jpg

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank You very much for your answer, and I see what you mean it can pop off ...

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I love the Valor speaker mic even though the battery compartment clip broke off and I can't get the supplier to reply to my email. Also, I've not had great success with the battery on the Valor maintaining its charge for a long time. Anyone have the same issue? Suggestions? Also, anyone know where I can obtain a backup battery?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

minh6710

I love the Valor speaker mic even though the battery compartment clip broke off and I can't get the supplier to reply to my email. Also, I've not had great success with the battery on the Valor maintaining its charge for a long time. Anyone have the same issue? Suggestions? Also, anyone know where I can obtain a backup battery?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

Call Klein electronics and see if they can help you out on replacing the battery compartment clip.I imagine they would be able to sell you the part at a nominal charge. Or maybe even cover it under warranty.

As far as a replacement battery, it was covered in the original review but I will mention again that it is a common Motorola battery. The model number is BK 70. I just did a search on eBay ffor it and I am finding results for $3.75. There’s also a desktop charger which will allow you to charge the battery outside the mic This will show up on the search results also.

Until the manufacturer comes out with an updated model that has an on/off switch, the best way to preserve battery life if you’re not using it is to remove the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Another speaker-mic option

I realize it doesn't have the strong audio that the Valor or RadioTone products have but it is a bit smaller and does connect with most scanner models via a 3.5 plug. I'm referring to a MAXON Model ACC-725 Lapel Speaker Mic. I bought mine on eBay from "2wayfm" for $13.20. Again, the audio isn't as strong as the other two mentioned on here but it works ok and isn't so obvious.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

prcguy

I recently bought an amplified speaker mic designed for the little Elecraft HF QRP rigs, but it works great as a receive only speaker. Its not particularly cheap but I find it worth the price for my Elecraft rigs. Check out the AlexMic: https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015773

I also bought a case of odd amplified speakers made for use with gas masks. They used a throat mic to pick up the users voice and the amplified speaker clipped to the front of the user. They are about 3" across with a 2 position volume switch and have a big clip on the back for mounting to stuff. They run for a long time on 2 AA batts.

I poked around inside one and found the mic preamp has some radical equalization for the throat mic but feeding in audio from a scanner upstream of the mic pre makes some nice loud audio. With a little bit of work these would make one of the best remote amplified speakers I can think of for portable scanners.

I might put several of them on the RR swap pages, otherwise they are made by Audiopack and the P/N on the speaker is 19398, but I don't see any info online.

kmi8dy

what i did about 15 years ago, i don't know if it would work today though, i took a motorola speaker/ mic i bought at a swapmeet. i cut off the mic pin completly off because the plug would not plug in the handheld scanner correctully because of the two pins. after cutting off the mic pin it worked like a champ. i think i paid $35 for it. at the time the new price was about $90.

tomtefe

PRCGuy....Have you tried the Alexmic with a scanner? Just curious at the performance.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.