Amplified speaker mic / lapel speaker for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

minh6710

I forgot to add that you would probably position and use this speaker mic closer to your ear than you would the uniden bearcat external speaker. For this reason the speaker mic probably wouldn't have to be as loud as the bearcat speaker positioned a few feet away whereas the speaker mic is inches away from your ear.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I just bought the black version. The company called me and said they could get it to me faster than the method I chose for shipping. I'm really excited, as I go out a photography fire scenes a lot and it's hard to hear the scanner amongst the engines.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I did not think to mention the weight. I should have. It's just a bit heavier maybe, but not bothersome. Maybe I don't notice it so I didn't even think about it. Glad to hear it's working out for you. How long have you had it and how is your experience with the battery life? Remember, you can get spares on eBay for next to nothing. Your mic looks good with your radio and the orange is eye catching.
. No thanks, too big and obvious looking hanging off of you and ...orange, really? A small plantronics M70 bluetooth earpiece is cheaper, covert and provides more than enough volume and you won't have people giving you the whacker look! :wink: 73, n9zas

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
and you won't have people giving you the whacker look! :wink: 73, n9zas
...with your looks I don't think it would be the lapel mic folks would be staring at...

...oh wait, that's not you in the picture? Sorry mate! :D

gewecke

Banned
...with your looks I don't think it would be the lapel mic folks would be staring at...

...oh wait, that's not you in the picture? Sorry mate! :D
Hey!! That's one of my best selfies I'll have you know...:D 73, n9zas

minh6710

I just bought the black version. The company called me and said they could get it to me faster than the method I chose for shipping. I'm really excited, as I go out a photography fire scenes a lot and it's hard to hear the scanner amongst the engines.

Let us know how it works for you and how you like it.

minh6710

I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. How is it working out for you so far and what scanner are you using it with?

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Let us know how it works for you and how you like it.

I've been using the amplified speaker mic for about a month now, and I am loving it! I go and photograph a lot of fire incidents, and this works perfectly even next to the roar of the fire engine's engine working.

minh6710

I've been using the amplified speaker mic for about a month now, and I am loving it! I go and photograph a lot of fire incidents, and this works perfectly even next to the roar of the fire engine's engine working.

That's awesome! I use mine regularly and it's still going strong a year and a half later. I've been in noisy environments and it's more than loud enough. Sound quality is very clear. I love finding an accessory that extends the utility and enjoyment of a product. If there was one thing I could change about it is that I wish it had an on/off switch on it. When I'm not using it I usually pop the back cover off and remove the battery. Other than that, battery life lasts me days even when I'm using it all day.

minh6710

Can you buy the battery replacement locally....??

You probably could source it locally at a place like batteries plus but according to their website a Motorola BK70 battery (which is what the mic takes) is $39.99. A much better option would be to look on ebay where they are plentiful and cheap. I just did a search just now and they start out used at $1.99 with free shipping according to the search link below:

motorola bk70 | eBay

New they are about $4.

I bought 5 extra batteries this way along with an optional desktop charger:

Motorola SPN5394A Battery Charger for BK10 BK70 BT50 BT51 BT60 BT61 Series | eBay

It works very well for me, and honestly, as long lasting as the batteries are, I could have gotten by with two or three extra batteries. You don't really need the desktop charger; you can charge the battery while it's inside the mic by plugging the mic into a powered micro USB but I like the flexibility of being able to use the mic while I charge batteries separately. The desktop charger itself also plugs into a mini USB which you supply.

Last edited:

WA3CSX

I am using the 436 with it.Although the batteries dont seem to last as long as I would like them to,it is worth the purchase.Because of this find,it is easy for me to use my scanner and carry my ham handheld.I have my 436 in a case,using a reflective radio strap.I put the mic on the top loop and my yaesu ft1xd on the next loop down.SSSOOO much better.

minh6710

That sounds like a pretty neat setup. I assume you're using the Boston Leather radio strap? I have that strap and I never thought to try to use it like that. It's a great idea. I might have to try that.

When you mentioned the batteries don't last as long as you'd like, are you referring to the 436 batteries or mic battery?

wilsondw

Premium Subscriber
I cannot stand earbuds for some reason. I do foot patrol and love to listen to my BCD396XT. Bought regular non amplified lapel speaker and could hardly hear it at max volume. So I too took the plunge and bought a black one. WOW does this lapel speaker have volume. Had to turn down the scanner to a 5 with this speaker and the audio quality is fantastic. So in my opinion and for my application it is PERFECT.

gewecke

Banned
I cannot stand earbuds for some reason. I do foot patrol and love to listen to my BCD396XT. Bought regular non amplified lapel speaker and could hardly hear it at max volume. So I too took the plunge and bought a black one. WOW does this lapel speaker have volume. Had to turn down the scanner to a 5 with this speaker and the audio quality is fantastic. So in my opinion and for my application it is PERFECT.
. Now any unauthorized visitors who might be lurking will hear you coming! :twisted: 73, n9zas

wilsondw

Premium Subscriber
LOL, very true when they hear the 10 codes they run like rabbits! Saves me a lot of paper work. The scanner keeps me updated for a particular (not so good area). This area can get both very loud and quiet. This speaker can adjust perfectly. Oh by the way, I will see them long before they hear me!
Thanks!

gewecke

Banned
LOL, very true when they hear the 10 codes they run like rabbits! Saves me a lot of paper work. The scanner keeps me updated for a particular (not so good area). This area can get both very loud and quiet. This speaker can adjust perfectly. Oh by the way, I will see them long before they hear me!
Thanks!
Eh, well just hope they don't have military training. I don't think they're going to be too concerned with a security guard or two. :wink: 73, n9zas

rfgroup

Premium Subscriber
Eh, well just hope they don't have military training. I don't think they're going to be too concerned with a security guard or two. :wink: 73, n9zas

I'm coming in at the end of the thread of this conversation. What is the black Mike that you're speaking of that I can plug into a handheld scanner, either a PSR 500 or a uniden. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.