Anderson and Knox Counties

medic9351301

Banned
bro, I have a life. Yours appears to be 'medic'. Mine is radios.... among other things.

Nope. You are flat out wrong. And spreading misinformation. And leading users to believe their 'secure' radio systems are in fact, completely secure. They... are not, which is common knowledge to professionals and industry insiders.

They are cheap as hell, right now, including a free software version (If you are reading this thread, and understand what I am trying to tell these people, please do not message me, I will not do your homework for you, or even provide a lead. Thank you for understanding. It's out there, you can find it).

Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about. If you want to start a thread about it, I will share what I can, but the owner of the site doesn't want this topic discussed. At all. Because reasons. Read into that what you will.

Yes, they are. Scroll up.

Thank you. All, please listen to medicnnnn, he may not really get encryption, but he at least went to the site, and cited the fact that the Unication CAN monitor encrypted channels, and CAN scan.

To my knowledge, none of the garbage whistler, or uniden, or that other company makes can do encryption without an aftermarket conversion or an outboard device.

Have we beat this to death yet?

I feel like this is beat to death now.
wrong answer again man .
i have been a part owner of a major radio shop for the past 30 years . and if anyone is spreading false info its you . your leadiing people to think if they buy something the can load a key and bam get all encrp comms . and your the one thats sharing on how to break it. no one has told anything in this thread. your the one that said they can get it. in fact a county nextdoor bought the g series for all the vollys. and several have asked to have the law programed in and they will not do it . so that should tell you something

All that has been said here numerous times is the fact unless you have a need you will not get it .
Tell me why my shop who has many users on our county radio system and has the magic way to program. can not do it with out written permission to do it ? . and i have myself bricked over 10 radios that have shown up as not authorized . just for kicks have you read the ecpa act yet. " all we are trying to say is just because it supports it does not mean your going to get it done. i would love to have my local pd back even through my shop has the way to do it . does not mean i am going to do it. and before you ask no i dont support it on dispatch channels . the biggest question i get asked is when someone is deciding to go to a system is "is it true that the fcc/ homeland security requires it" I aked who told you that then they tell me xyz salesperson told me . I just laugh and tell them no .

this is just a fun fact :
On the other hand, cracking a 128-bit AES encryption key can take up to 36 quadrillion years.

Just imagine what time it would take to crack a 256-bit AES key, which boasts a staggering number of 984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,936 combinations. Keeping this number in mind, we can safely assume that a brute-force attack on AES encryption will not happen without a significant increase in computing power.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Well,
Thought I was done. A few more thoughts, and then I'll let you all have it.

wrong answer again man .
i have been a part owner of a major radio shop for the past 30 years .
I've worked for 'part owners'.

and if anyone is spreading false info its you . your leadiing people to think if they buy something the can load a key and bam get all encrp comms .
That's exactly, one hundred percent, how it works. If they buy something that has the capability, and they get the keys, you load them, and as you say, BAM, they get all encrypted comms.

and your the one thats sharing on how to break it.
Not once. I haven't shared a single thing on how to circumvent lawful encryption. I've just said it's possible, while you and the others say it isn't.
Making yourself out as a part owner of a Major Radio Shop, and telling them that their hardware scrambled ADP system is uncrackable is false and misleading. Bad. They will believe you.
in fact a county nextdoor bought the g series for all the vollys. and several have asked to have the law programed in and they will not do it . so that should tell you something
It tells me that the people asking don't know how to ask, not that it isn't possible. (shrugs)

Tell me why my shop who has many users on our county radio system and has the magic way to program. can not do it with out written permission to do it ?
You can. You have 'the magic way to do it'. You just... don't. See the difference?

just for kicks have you read the ecpa act yet.
Read it? Sure*. This might blow your mind, but it was never intended to address private citizens monitoring government; it protected the rights of a private citizen in their private capacity against others eavesdropping. ECPA probably would get gutted in suit on 1st Amendment grounds if one had the money and time to pursue it.

*(to be fair, I have been Daubert qualified as an expert in the 6th Circuit of US Federal Court on Technical Intercept and Surveillance.)

" all we are trying to say is just because it supports it does not mean your going to get it done.
That's fair to say, but it isn't accurate. You and the rest say it isn't possible. It most certainly is. Likely? No.

In the 90's, I had motorola tell me it wasn't possible to program an analog Smartzone system without getting the System Key from them. Not possible. No way. Not even Motorola Engineering could. Very secure.

This is the same thing, you just may not be aware of what's really happening out there.

i would love to have my local pd back even through my shop has the way to do it . does not mean i am going to do it.
Then, that's a moral problem, not a technical issue. See? Technically, if you understand how to do it, and you have the equipment, and the keys, then you certainly can.

and before you ask no i dont support it on dispatch channels .
I wasn't going to ask. Since we are sharing, with very, very few exceptions, I don't support it on any governmental 'channels'.

the biggest question i get asked is when someone is deciding to go to a system is "is it true that the fcc/ homeland security requires it" I aked who told you that then they tell me xyz salesperson told me . I just laugh and tell them no .
They are partly correct.
There are national standards. TACN follows those standards so they can get Federal funding. One of those is the system must be encryption capable. Initially, it was hardware ADP, then there was some issues, and now it's... something else.
There is no regulation or law at the Federal level that mandates enc active, just that it is available, and that it be uniform for interoperability.
Look at SAFECOM II . That is what safecom morphed into a while back. Lot more on the topic there.

this is just a fun fact :
On the other hand, cracking a 128-bit AES encryption key can take up to 36 quadrillion years.

Just imagine what time it would take to crack a 256-bit AES key, which boasts a staggering number of 984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,936 combinations. Keeping this number in mind, we can safely assume that a brute-force attack on AES encryption will not happen
I'm not sure we should discuss this here. Mods, if it is an issue, please, feel free to clip my response. I mean no ill will and like my membership here.

Neither of those things are accurate.

You err in that you assume you will have to try every combination in the keyspace. That's false. (what if the key is all 0's?) You also assume that there also isn't cryptological tradecraft to further reduce the keyspace. Lastly, you appear not to understand there are many, many ways to compromise keys.

here's one:

security.png

without a significant increase in computing power.

(Imagine where someone could theoretically obtain a bunch of stolen credit card numbers. You can stack a TON of amazon virtual computers. A ton.)

Edited because I forgot my funny (but true) picture

Last edited:

medic9351301

Banned
AGAIN I DID NOT SAY IT COULD NOT BE DONE. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT DO IT WITH OUT A VALID REASON .
maybe when the feds come nocking on your door for vioalting federal laws. it seems to me that ecpa does work i know of several lawsuits over encp have been lost do to it . What makes you think i am better than anyone to be high and mighty to put a key in a radio while others want to hear it.

ok let me ask you this if its possible to do all this whats the point of encryption?
And why has the so called tech not been made into scanners. if they can do it on the pagers/scanners?
and how is posting from a article sharing keys. you sound like to me your just a trouble making wanna be know it all .
do you cheat on your income taxes to just because others have

Last edited:

surfacemount

Hey, friend

I see you reverted your post. I am guessing that means we can still talk. Ok!

AGAIN I DID NOT SAY IT COULD NOT BE DONE. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT DO IT WITH OUT A VALID REASON .
ok. We agree (again)
maybe when the feds come nocking on your door for vioalting federal laws.
I don't knowingly and intentionally violate Federal laws, but show me the man, and I'll show you the crime.

it seems to me that ecpa does work i know of several lawsuits over encp have been lost do to it .
The ECPA shouldn't be applied as a way to shield government. There is other enabling legislation.

What makes you think i am better than anyone to be high and mighty to put a key in a radio while others want to hear it.
... I don't know what to tell you here, I'm not sure what you're asking.
ok let me ask you this if its possible to do all this whats the point of encryption?
Obfuscating information has been a cat-and-mouse game since way before wireless transmissions. The value of encryption is in the tactical domain, where time is the factor. Encryption has its place, just not in 98% of governmental communications.

And why has the so called tech not been made into scanners. if they can do it on the pagers/scanners?
I think you're asking why hasn't decryption become a basic component of all scanners.

If that's the case, two reasons in my opinion. 1 - cost. Not just the cost of implementing the board, but the lawsuits and quiet arm bending of the manufacturers that would surely have followed. Scanner manufacturers have always trod a tenuous gray area, just a little whiter than radar detector manufacturers. Also, the original digital encryption schemes were patented. It would have cost a ton to buy a license, and I'd bet they wouldn't sell it to them. On the other hand, you could buy boards for scanners for analog schemes almost as fast as they came out with the schemes.
The 2nd reason is SDR. With SDR, no need for proprietary chips. It's all emulated now. Plus, the newer schemes aren't patentable, Triple DES is a Federal Standard. So is AES-256.
This happened the second that digital audio processing became a reality, but it didn't become as accessible until computing resources got cheap enough to process audio.
and how is posting from a article sharing keys.
I have no idea what you're on about here
you sound like to me your just a trouble making wanna be know it all .
Perhaps. Opinions vary
do you cheat on your income taxes to just because others have
I don't 'cheat' on my taxes. But I use them to my advantage, not the United States.

The best thing to do is download the Broadcastify app from Google Play store or the App Store and start monitoring your area. You will find out real quick what can be heard and what can't be monitored. Then make a decision on what to purchase.
It looks like there are some things in Anderson that can be monitored but
Knox doesn't have a feed on Broadcastify. It is pretty much encrypted when it comes to law enforcement.
Just note that it is hard to hear on the app

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hence the point of using your OWN SCANNER to listen to things. Feeds are fed by folks using their own scanners, or in Calls portion SDR stuff. Don't complain about someone else, get your own set up.

Hence the point of using your OWN SCANNER to listen to things. Feeds are fed by folks using their own scanners, or in Calls portion SDR stuff. Don't complain about someone else, get your own set up.
I ain't complaining, I was just letting someone know about an app before they use it.

surfacemount

It's the volume of it, it really stinks because it's so low that you have to hold it up to your ear.
I didn't see what you were saying as being critical. I don't know of any feeds last time I set one up that had low audio though. It's easy to happen, there are several stages where the audio can be incorrectly set.

On your end, at least in the androids, is it possible you had the volume for that app set low?