Another Consolidated Dispatch Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been touched on before somewhere here on the forum. I have some knowledge of a few cities will be consolidating by the Spring of next year. Those cities are Clinton Township, Shelby Township, and Sterling Heights. One of my instructor who is a Captain at Sterling Heights PD that oversees their dispatch center was telling me about this. I think they will be joining the MAcomb County Sheriff Dispatch. I think I remember reading about this somewhere possibly. It is also possible that if and when those three cities consolidate together that will be backup for SERESA.

I guess it is getting pretty rough in these economic times for dispatchers as well :D , hahaha. And to think I was considering getting certified to be a dispatcher....

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
So you wanna be a dispatcher?

I guess it is getting pretty rough in these economic times for dispatchers as well :D , hahaha. And to think I was considering getting certified to be a dispatcher....

No certification required in Michigan (yet). We all had to take an 80-hour class at the community college back in the early 90's that was a pilot program for a future state certification, but it never came to fruition. They've been working on a certification standard for about 20 years; and while they have come close, it always seems to die before it takes effect. APCO is also working on a national standard; not holding my breath to see who comes up with one first. (I'll probably be retired by then!) :p

Bottom line; if you want to be a dispatcher, chances are some agency within a reasonable driving distance is going to be hiring at any given time. Since we consolidated in March 2010, we've hired 7 people; and only lost 3. Go for it! It's not for everybody, but it can be a rewarding career. (I'll have 29 years on the job this April.)

Last edited:
As Dr.Dispatch said it is 80 hours.I did mine at Baker as you can see in my heading below my name I completed the required hours. I say go for it but be prepared for the stress that may come along with it.

freqs

Yesterday I heard Sterling Dispatch and Clinton Twp doing radio checks to the all the Mobile units on tg 2392 It shows in the Database as the county ERT .

Status
Not open for further replies.