Another Downtown Lima Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Lima Fire Department in Allen County has another fire in downtown Lima. Aerial streams in use with mutual aid from Shawnee Township Fire Department for another ladder truck.

Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Fire is at 219 S. Main St. For those of you familiar with Lima this is the building that houses the Main Street Bistro.

No reported injuries. There has been a partial collapse of this building.

This is the same shift that had the fire on 12/2/09 that resulted in the death of a resident of an apartment.

Mike

Last edited:

cfr301

Lot of Fires Down Town Lately, lots of damage, even death from Fires so far this year. Once again they are knocking down the building in a big hurry, I kinda wonder if thats the best idea before a determination is made of how the fire started.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Lot of Fires Down Town Lately, lots of damage, even death from Fires so far this year. Once again they are knocking down the building in a big hurry, I kinda wonder if thats the best idea before a determination is made of how the fire started.

Started as a basement fire and extended ending up in a second and third floor collapse. Building is probably too dangerous to do an investigation. I'm sure the building was declared structurally unstable by the City Engineer's Office. At least one functioning business is in the collapse zone. Also some main power lines in downtown Lima run next to the building and had to have power cut which has shut off power to a significant area (246 customers). AEP won't bring power back up until building is brought down. You do the math. ;)

Mike

Last edited:

cfr301

Started as a basement fire and extended ending up in a second and third floor collapse. Building is probably too dangerous to do an investigation. I'm sure the building was declared structurally unstable by the City Engineer's Office. At least one functioning business is in the collapse zone. Also some main power lines in downtown Lima run next to the building and had to have power cut which has shut off power to a significant area (246 customers). AEP won't bring power back up until building is brought down. You do the math. ;)

Mike

Don't misunderstand Mike I know they are doing what needs to be done, I was looking at it from an investigation of cause view point. They may never know the cause, this reign of fires is awful for the city and even worse for LFD guys who have to risk their lives to fight them

Rick

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Yeah I realize that Rick, but also from the investigator point of view, they aren't going to go where it isn't safe to go. That was sort of what I was trying to point out. Also at fires like this about the only thing you may get is an area of origin, not a point of origin and that is with the building still standing. Once the most dangerous parts of the the building are down, they MAY be able to get into the basement to work it. Knowing the investigator he wouldn't let the building come down if he thought there was a chance of completing a safe investigation.

One other thought, with the amount of water that went into that building, they might have needed SCUBA gear to effect an investigation. :D

Mike

cfr301

Yeah I realize that Rick, but also from the investigator point of view, they aren't going to go where it isn't safe to go. That was sort of what I was trying to point out. Also at fires like this about the only thing you may get is an area of origin, not a point of origin and that is with the building still standing. Once the most dangerous parts of the the building are down, they MAY be able to get into the basement to work it. Knowing the investigator he wouldn't let the building come down if he thought there was a chance of completing a safe investigation.

One other thought, with the amount of water that went into that building, they might have needed SCUBA gear to effect an investigation. :D

Mike
I just can't see Toby in Snorkel Gear, some how that Image is Frightening! I'm just glad NONE of the guys were hurt..its getting MORE dangerous to be a cop or a firefighter in Lima these days!

hoser147

Wont be long you'll have a renovated downtown, like St. Marys has gotten. Empty Blocks and parking lots. Once the walls where down the rest was dug out layer by layer here, it took several days to work on the investigation. Seems like Downtown fires come in spurts, Celina had a few for a year or two, then St.Marys had 3 and now Lima is there. Lots of history in those downtown buildings.....

Status
Not open for further replies.