• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Analyzer advice wanted- Which one should I Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
I got one of these recently and it's worth every cent. 137.500 MHz - 2.7 GHz no gaps. It is extremely accurate and stable with a DSS type of signal generator. You can vary the start and stop points and adjust what steps you want to move the marker.

3b077eee-eb94-46a1-b153-c19c9806b62b.jpg

N1201SA UV RF Vector Impedance ANT SWR Antenna Analyzer Meter Tester 140MHz - 2.7GHz Sale - Banggood.com

prcguy

Looks interesting and I just ordered one to play with. Couldn't resist since it comes from "Bang Good".
prcguy

I got one of these recently and it's worth every cent. 137.500 MHz - 2.7 GHz no gaps. It is extremely accurate and stable with a DSS type of signal generator. You can vary the start and stop points and adjust what steps you want to move the marker.

3b077eee-eb94-46a1-b153-c19c9806b62b.jpg

N1201SA UV RF Vector Impedance ANT SWR Antenna Analyzer Meter Tester 140MHz - 2.7GHz Sale - Banggood.com

mancow

Database Admin
I actually got mine off eBay but linked to that site out of convenience. I'll email you some more info later tonight. I've been having a blast with it. It works great for SATCOM antennas since most analysers seem to skip that range.

mancow

Database Admin
Wow, that's some pretty piss-poor SWR on that antenna... :eek:

That's what I thought too. :lol: That's what makes it so nice to have, even if it shows you things you don't want to see.

Last edited:

Rred

I've seen unlocked cell phones sold new at retail for $29.95 with bigger screens than that. That would be the only stopper for most folks over 50. Or do they include a pair of reading glasses in every box?

mancow

Database Admin
I've seen unlocked cell phones sold new at retail for $29.95 with bigger screens than that. That would be the only stopper for most folks over 50. Or do they include a pair of reading glasses in every box?

It's not really that bad once you are using it. It's surprisingly readable.

mancow

Database Admin
I received my AAI N1201SA analyzer and played with it a little today. Not sure exactly what I think of it yet but its somewhere between wow and yippee!. This is a whole lot of analyzer for $165.
prcguy

Pretty handy isn't it. I just wish they had an HF-137 version.

prcguy

I had to go with an iPhone 6+ due to my eyes but I can read the screen on this new spiffy analyzer just fine.
prcguy

prcguy

The screen and controls look very similar to the AAI N1201SA that cow and I have. We just highlight the function with the knob or arrows, hit enter or click down on the knob and rotate the knob for the available range.

Our analyzers go from 137 to 2,700MHz continuous and can sweep the entire range, where the SA-250 has specific bands. You would only be able to sweep within the maximum range of each band.
prcguy

LOL, that AEA is over $600, you are going the wrong way where price is concerned.

If budget were not an issue, I have seen some nice ones from $2,800 to $11,000.

Anybody ever buy one used? Good or bad experience?

Hi..my experience with both the equipment and the service response at AEA is 'stay away from it' Many years ago I bought an SWR 121 HF for nearly $1000 Australian...looks exactly same as todays. I used it once, stored it properly and without batteries. Tried it last year...screen shot, obvious deterioration. AEA didn't receive any of my emails which expressed disappointment but sought their help to resurrect it...(after all it was 2 weeks wages). The screen should not deteriorate as it has not being used through ...especially when some are still operating with screens ok...but having been repaired (not at AEA) of other faults.

I was told after addressing one to the Company President last night. "No they don't service the 121...but I can buy a new model". Great PR from the 'support team' (no name) . I wrote again immediately suggesting the new screens might be interchangeable. 'No, but we can sell you a screen cover'. Obviously I am getting low level attention. I went looking for a replacement....heard from a 'technical' vendor about component faults with his which he personally repaired. Not good for such a heat-passive unit...

I also advised AEA that two of their email addresses are wrong...using @techology' instead of @technology'...why do I need to tell them?....
My instinct tells me that AEA is vastly overpriced, they are not on the ball and for all their 'customer service/satisfaction 'propaganda'...aka 'claims' they are money orientated rather than service orientated. I could be wrong in thinking (as I was employed by Defence in the past) that they focus on well-heeled and government clients. It's great to have 'features' and bigger screens but for the everyday Ham is there a point in that if the unit dies..in my case after just one use then dry storage, it's "all over-Red-Rover"..' not even the slightest effort to help or give technician advice.. or even listen and understand what's actually going on with the screen issue. I'm not twisted about it, but I do have instinct about the way companies respond.

I also think we are looking at overkill. You may have noted the response from one member on swr in coax. Unless terminated coax is going nowhere however it can leak down over time or with moisture. That said he raised an important point hat lead-in to/from antennas ARE a part of the antenna. Measurements don't say "I'll ignore everything until I meet a 239 or some insertion loss"...

Without going into coax stats and the SWR recounting of that contributor alert, I recall far more ham-savvy about antennas when we used TV ribbon or insulator-spaced "ladder" wiring as lead-in. That's just one ost I suppose of allowing Ham radio to deteriorate into a kind of 'community radio' rather than an engineering based club

I'd be cautious to look for what one actually needs from an analyser (and one Australian Ham's design apparently walks all over MJF and others...and the kit is about $149 Australian...but it doesn't have a vector screen.. just the display of facts as it finds them). I'd say few of the "I'm going to etc. etc. etc. with antenna design" ever get past the talk or the first antenna (as did I!!) so buy only what you need, work on the entry point at the antenna to judge the antenna itself and then at the TRX insertion point to judge any impediments...which could be in connectors or balun or 'anywhere'. Remember that if there is no affordable service if service is available the "Surecom" for example at least is colourful on screen and reasonably priced for replacement...even if you need visual assistance to see it all.

Personally I would never buy from AEA, on its poor PR performance, low level response when it finally arrived apparently 'not great' reliability at least on some units...I have no wider facts...and its massive unit price. Even at say $600-700 US second hand...that's a lot of money and reduces from an initial price based not on the unit component and assembly costs looking at the new prices but on the company expenses and profit expectations.

lmrtek

Don't waste your money on ham grade junk.
Buy a Anritsu site master.

freddaniel

I agree the Anritsu Site Master series is the real deal. The cellular companies are starting to replace their S331 units and the non-color units can be had reasonably. The S332 includes a Spectrum Analyzer. They read in SWR and Return Loss.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Don't waste your money on ham grade junk.
Buy a Anritsu site master.

Right... /snark

Like a ham is going to pay more for an antenna analyzer he'll use a few times for more than his transceiver is worth, seriously? :roll:

>$1000 for a used Anritsu site master on eBay... :confused:

prcguy

If your going to consider the Anritsu route the Agilent Field Fox makes the Anritsu look like a toy. The Field Fox is like a complete microwave test bench in a tiny box including antenna analyzer, spectrum analyzer, power meter, single or two port S11/S21 return loss with auto cal features and more.

I agree the Anritsu Site Master series is the real deal. The cellular companies are starting to replace their S331 units and the non-color units can be had reasonably. The S332 includes a Spectrum Analyzer. They read in SWR and Return Loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.