Antenna and ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
The Southern Lights have been runnin' wild down here of late, never have my camera ready! The Northern lights were good when I was doing a job up at RAF Leuchars near Aberdeen, late November in the 60's.

Robert Service, the Canuck poet? "Dangerous Dan McGrew" and "Spell of the Yukon". Johnny Horton sang "North to Alaska" - or was it a poem of RS's made into a song? Couldn't find a link.

Great story - static build-up on the tower looking for a ground? Lot of current required to make a 2 foot dia hole in the snow though.

"Story told while sitting in an airport- this connecting flight lay-over stuff is time best turn'd to stories..." .....You know what they say..."If you've time to spare, go by air!"

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I like that !
............................."If you've time to spare, go by air!"

I just enter'd it into my list.... :)

He is one of my favorite poets-- Robert Service:
So much so that I often include a copy of his poems in my kit when going up into the Arctic- ..... to both annoy and entertains my coworkers.
I have a short tale about reading just such poetry on the air over our HF networks-- read to the guys scatter'd about, out in the bush, to past the time as we monitor a project. Once a Canadian Air Force tech comm station broke the silence between my poems with a request for that very piece, cited above...Their whole base installation wanted to hear "The cremation of Sam McGee.".... it seems their whole system had tuned into my renditions and want'd encores! I never knew we had an audience.
"........There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who mole for gold....." :)
Barbi never came up with a good explanation of what she'd seen. She is our resident expert on plasma-type stuff, so we've accepted "Ball Lightning' as what happen'd. WHY it happen'd- that opened a number of (Vodka) fuel evening's discussions.... :)
Interesting thing about it, she said- no one has ever (at least of that date, and still as far as I know) ever photograph'd an example of Ball Lightning. All accounts of it are verbal descriptions.
That's okay... I can live without experiencing it, for I'm convinced my sighting will involve a lot more that just watch it bounce around on an antenna or melting a hole in snow.... :)
...........................CF

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yes, The Cremation of Sam McGee........ smiles
Ahh ! .. and the plethora of other poems, songs and tales of life in the Far North...
Reading poetry to each other over the HF radios has evolved over the years to be part of our field work. So often it is in such isolated settings that unless you provide it, you are not going to be entertained. Cabin Fever is one of the worst enemies we have to deal with (no, it isn't lightning... :) )

(Smiling) So much of the world still views a paraffin (kerosene) lantern as high tech,... and have you ever tried to pick up Direct TV (etc) from above the Arctic Circle... what aurora does to everything electronic? Think the ways of Shackleton/Scott/Amundsen have passed into history?-- spend a few weeks in the Bush, it will change your mind... :)

Years ago on a joint project with our Canadian brethren, we were introduced to a charming social activity to pass the evenings. Sitting around the woodstove a dozen or so would start it off. Guitars are produced, a song notebook with tunes the guitarist's know is pass to the first person; that person selects a song, and everyone sings along. The book is passed to the next person and while they are selecting the next song, that first person stands and, from a personal book favorite, or better still, from memory (aplauded) recites a poem, a short story, a joke, does a pantomine- whatever they like--- its up to them to entertain the group until the next song is chosen and sung. Some of the songs and skits are lively, others can bring tears to the eye (Barbi playing her guitar and singing solo, a sad ballad in French often does that)- They can also be bawdy or farcical..... Meanwhile the bottle is passed about the circle. This can go on and on thru out the evening until finally the bottle(s) are empty, eyes are heavy and before the nodding-off begins, the appropriate scientists wander off to put their project to bed before crashing themselves.
I guess this all has something to do with radio- I did mention HF in there, didn't I ? In this case, I tried to weave the love of the science, into the the social fabric that ties it together with the people that do it. Its all much more than capacitors, antennas .....
I know this is probably testing the limits of the original subject posed by Xccess days ago--it has gone from the placement of a lightning arrestor to singing ballads in the Far North.
So least I test the patience of many, and before I blow the fuse on this subject--
This has been my epilogue on the topic: "Lightning."
Au Revoi !
................CF

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Yes, The Cremation of Sam McGee........ smiles

Wow... Sam McGee. My father used to recite that to us kids around the campfire. I don't quite know it by heart, but close.

"There are strange things done, in the midnight sun, by the men who moil for gold. The arctic trails have their secret tales, that would make your blood run cold. The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, was the night on the marge on Lake LeBarge, I cremated Sam McGee"

Apologies to Robert Service, if I got any of that wrong. I'm going on 50 year old memory. I have Dad's old collected works of Robert Service book around here somewhere. Now I have to go find it!

Interesting stories of lighting, you've shared. I, too, have spent many a storm up on some stupid mountain top or another hoping to not get zapped. I've seen sheets of lightning tear horizontally across the mountain top, missing all the towers completely. That sounded like a giant piece of paper getting torn. Heard towers humming like a hive of bees just before it got hit (no St. Elmo's fire visible, it was daylight), and been in the building when it took multiple strikes, with the morter between the bricks shooting white powder into the room with a *poof* at every hit.

Terrifyingly fascinating, or fascinatingly terrifying. Or something... Thanks for an enjoyable series of posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.