Antenna angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Can anyone tell me a easy way to measure a angle of 70 degree bend for my BASA- kit radials , without a protractor, using a T square or measuring tape or just a simple way to get 70 degree bend ?

prcguy

Take a sheet of paper, long side going up and down, top side to side which is 90 deg and the starting point for the radials. Fold at a diagonal and you will have a 45 deg edge pointing down. Fold diagonal again and you will have a 67.5 deg edge pointing down. A 90 deg top edge minus the first 45 deg fold minus the next 22.5 deg fold is 67.5 deg downward, so if you hold the long edge of the paper parallel with the mast (0 and 180 deg), what was the top edge at 90 deg is now 67.5 deg pointing downward and very close to 70 deg as a guide to bend the radials down.

Can anyone tell me a easy way to measure a angle of 70 degree bend for my BASA- kit radials , without a protractor, using a T square or measuring tape or just a simple way to get 70 degree bend ?

Ubbe

It's not that important with an exact angle. It's probably just somewhere in the middle between 90 and 45 and instead of giving the exact 67.5 they say 70 as it doesn't matter with a few degrees off. It will also be dependent of the antennas tuning and the surrounding objects close by, like a metal mast or pole. To find the most optimum angle you could monitor a weak signal and then bend the radials to different angles to get the best signal. But the difference would probably be so small and hardly detactable that it would not be worth the extra effort.

The incline standards for horizontal are always 0 degree and straight up are positive 90 and straight down are negative 90. I don't know if some antenna manufacturers use their own standard.

/Ubbe

KO4IPV

It's not that important with an exact angle. It's probably just somewhere in the middle between 90 and 45 and instead of giving the exact 67.5 they say 70 as it doesn't matter with a few degrees off. It will also be dependent of the antennas tuning and the surrounding objects close by, like a metal mast or pole. To find the most optimum angle you could monitor a weak signal and then bend the radials to different angles to get the best signal. But the difference would probably be so small and hardly detactable that it would not be worth the extra effort.

The incline standards for horizontal are always 0 degree and straight up are positive 90 and straight down are negative 90. I don't know if some antenna manufacturers use their own standard.

/Ubbe
I went and bought a protractor I have them at 70 degrees, great signal strength, Thankyou for reply

Status
Not open for further replies.