Antenna gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does anybody know what the gain is on the stock SDS 200 Antenna is?
The gain of the antenna will vary depending on the length of the antenna and the frequency monitored. To improve the signal strength on the Manatee County 800 MHz system, the Remtronix REM-830B replaces the stock antenna on the rear of the scanner and will give you a 6db gain (double the voltage) over a 1/4 wave vertical antenna. The antenna is only 8" long.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The gain of the antenna will vary depending on the length of the antenna and the frequency monitored. To improve the signal strength on the Manatee County 800 MHz system, the Remtronix REM-830B replaces the stock antenna on the rear of the scanner and will give you a 6db gain (double the voltage) over a 1/4 wave vertical antenna. The antenna is only 8" long.

6db gain? I'm thinking no.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Rubber duckies stock scanner antennas are a trade off. When creating a multi-band rubber duckie you loose something on all bands. The previous advice about the Remtronics antenna is sound but that’s primarily because it’s designed to play optimally on one or two bands. And, as is the case with all handheld stock antennas, treat them as if they were dummy loads. Follow the advice of the group when purchasing an aftermarket antenna. Most multi-band aftermarket antennas are much longer than the stock antennas-they really need to be when considering they must play at resonance on many different bands.

tvengr

Well Known Member
6db gain? I'm thinking no.
All of the systems in my area are 700/800 MHz. Since changing to the REM-820S antenna on my SDS100, I am able to receive systems that I could not receive with the stock antenna. It made a significant improvement in the performance of the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.