Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomerdog

I just received my first scanner as a gift. It is a Uniden BC355n. I was curious why it wasn't picking anything up until I realized it needed an antenna. Like I said, I am new. The box was supposed to contain a wire antenna and telescoping antenna. It came with neither. Well, since it was a gift, and I do not have proof of purchase, Uniden refuses to send me the antennas. I'm not sure how to go about asking the person, who gave me the gift, to send me their receipt. Seems strange to me. So, I am curious, can I buy any antenna at the store that fits in the slot? Or do I need a specific antenna to do the job? I am really looking to only pick up within my down, another area 20 miles south, and Chicago, which is about 25 miles east of my location.
Thanks in advance.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with that model. Can you tell if the antenna plugs into the back or screws into a hole in top of the scanner? If it plugs into the back you can probably go to Radio Shack and get an all band scanner antenna with a motorola plug that will go into the antenna connector. That should work for you.

toastycookies

It has a common BNC connector.

What are you trying to pickup for bands and we can recommend an antenna, outdoor is better if possible.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
If there is a local RadioShack near you they may have the following.

Center-Loaded Telescoping Scanner Whip Antenna
Catalog #: 2000006
$14.99

BNC Right-Angle Adapter
Catalog #: 2780116
$5.99

Boomerdog

Thanks for the responses.

The original post was supposed to say that I am only trying to pick up within my town (not down). I am mainly using it to hear police and fire. But it would be nice to fully utilize the 800mhz.

To answer trap's question, it slides into the back and looks similar to a cable tv slot minus the threads.

FKimble

From page 28 of owners manual:

bC355N REAR PANEL
ITEM PURPOSE ANT
BNC Antenna Connector. Insert the antenna
plug here

toastycookies

Thanks for the responses.

The original post was supposed to say that I am only trying to pick up within my town (not down). I am mainly using it to hear police and fire. But it would be nice to fully utilize the 800mhz.

To answer trap's question, it slides into the back and looks similar to a cable tv slot minus the threads.

It is a Bayonet Neill–Concelman connector.

So are you looking for a triband antenna? indoor? outdoor? budget?

Boomerdog

I am not worried about upgrading the reception. My main goal is to find a BNC antenna that is as good as the telescoping antenna that should have arrived with the unit. Since that is how I will/would have used it in the first place. I just do not understand antenna much. Will any cheap BNC telescoping antenna on ebay pick up all of the same frequencies as the Uniden antenna? Or do they not work that way? I'd just switch to the wire antenna, that was supposed to be in the box, but that one also did not get packaged with the unit!

slicerwizard

A telescoping antenna with a center loading coil will give you the maximum frequency range. Other than that, they're all pretty much the same. If all you care about is 800 MHz reception, you can just stick a short wire (try six inches) into the center contact.

lu81fitter

If you are 25 miles west of Chicago, a lot of the departments are going to STARCOM, which is a P25 digital system. You will not be able to pick them up with that radio. Look in the database here on Radio Reference and you will find some that are not. I have that radio and it works well for me in "analog land" for most of the departments near me. The standard telescoping antenna does a pretty fair job if you are using it at home. If mobile, a magnetic mount antenna with an 18 inch whip will work pretty well. Good luck! By the way... Welcome to Radio Reference! (I see you don't have many posts.)

lu81fitter

As I looked back in your posts, I saw that you were trying to pick up the 800 MHz band. I apologize for my oversight. Very few departments use 800 MHz without using a trunking system. (I thought I saw 1 today in my database browsing) The 355N does not do trunking. But as I said earlier, there is a lot to listen to in your area on analog frequencies. Do some research and you will be on your way to a really interesting hobby!

marklassman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Unless you're happy with your reception as it is, you're always better off putting your antenna outside and as high as possible, rather than relying on the one that just plugs in the back. Again, you may be happy is you are. Just saying, outside is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.