HP-2: Antenna Question

TXron81

Premium Subscriber
I've been for about a week now setting up an HP2 for the second time. My first attempt didnt work out and now after a year I'm back at it. I'm in Texas City, Galveston county, TX and have only been getting a few channels to work consistantly. One day ems is there the next day gone or spotty. So today I switched to a stubby antenna That I had in a drawer and the radio came alive!!!! Everything seems to be yacking away as it should. My question .... What have I lost in the way of reception without the stock antenna in place? My worry is although I am now hearing most (maybe all) non-encrypted channels on the txwarn system that I might have lost something. And if the answer is nothing then why is this radio shipped with an antenna not suitable for proper reception?

Thanks

Enforcer52

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
The HP2 is shipped with an antenna that is suitable for the design of the HP2 which is not designed for Simulcast. As discussed in many threads on the forum, with a scanner not designed for simulcast less antenna is usually better as you are not picking up as many towers.

Do you have the only the Texas City towers programmed or the main Galveston Co Simulcast system towers?

The only thing the shorter antenna should affect are any conventional systems or other counties farther away that you also have programmed into the scanner.

TXron81

Premium Subscriber
The HP2 is shipped with an antenna that is suitable for the design of the HP2 which is not designed for Simulcast. As discussed in many threads on the forum, with a scanner not designed for simulcast less antenna is usually better as you are not picking up as many towers.

Do you have the only the Texas City towers programmed or the main Galveston Co Simulcast system towers?

The only thing the shorter antenna should affect are any conventional systems or other counties farther away that you also have programmed into the scanner.
Sounds good then. I have the county and Texas City plugged in and im in the process of blocking anything I missed (mostly north of me.) I really want nothing too far just southern county and adjacent town lets say 15 miles out at most.