IrwinMFletcher

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have an SDS200, a SDR Nooelec Smart v5 and a President Randy II CB.

My question is mostly about the SDS200 and SDR radio. I am studying for my Technician license currently.

I am completely new to hobby so I appreciate your help.

I have this antenna currently.

I would like to known if i can "split" the antenna coax (BNC) so I can monitor both the SDS200 and SDR at the same time.

My current coax is RG58 but I have some LNR400 (Type N) that I'll use eventually when I figure out permanent antennas.

I found a couple online but they had restricted frequency range. The antenna has a much wider frequency range, ie.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks!!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you use the basic splitter that splits the db, distant monitoring may become an issue since you are splitting the incoming signal. F to BNC adaptors are available everywhere.

1711891963892.png

I use an Electroline EDA 2800 8 port with zero loss feeding an SDS200, 436 at times and a bunch of dongles.

1711892009681.png

Scanner master sells a basic splitter that claims "minimal signal loss"

1711892054632.png

I found a couple online but they had restricted frequency range. The antenna has a much wider frequency range, ie.

While the antenna might have a higher range, how high do you plan on monitoring? My discone does 1300mhz but I don't ever plan on going over 940 mhz and my 2800 goes to 1000 mhz.

Top of the line stuff here and can be pricey. Stridsberg Multicouplers.

Other users may have different opinions, input and options. I use what I use and it works for my needs.

Last edited:

Ubbe

I would also recommend the Electroline EDA models. See to that you get the power supply with it. You can also use that when you upgrade your antenna. A discone antenna and a vertical gain antenna for 700-900Mhz connected to the same coax using a diplexer with a 600MHz split are probably the optimum solution for most people.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Would this work for what I need?
It's a power splitter with N connectors that can handle 50W and for cellular bands. There's no spec that tells how low in frequency it can actually go, probably 25MHz but can't be guaranteed. It's better going for a receive only splitter.

/Ubbe

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
If you use the basic splitter that splits the db, distant monitoring may become an issue since you are splitting the incoming signal. F to BNC adaptors are available everywhere.

View attachment 159285

I use an Electroline EDA 2800 8 port with zero loss feeding an SDS200, 436 at times and a bunch of dongles.

View attachment 159286

Scanner master sells a basic splitter that claims "minimal signal loss"

View attachment 159287

While the antenna might have a higher range, how high do you plan on monitoring? My discone does 1300mhz but I don't ever plan on going over 940 mhz and my 2800 goes to 1000 mhz.

Top of the line stuff here and can be pricey. Stridsberg Multicouplers.

Other users may have different opinions, input and options. I use what I use and it works for my needs.
Minimal signal loss will be at least 3dB or 50% of the signal will be gone.