"Elegant" Antenna DIY Design Questions - HF/VHF/UHF

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
Meh, it'll do for now. Works as far as I could tell from the hour or so of using it so far. Asphalt shingles in Arizona in the summer really suck.

As I learn the radio, radio systems, etc - fall might be the time for an upgrade.

Compress_20230709_040033_3088.jpg

Now I'm off to figure out trunking and digital.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
VERY interesting “atypical” installation! Now that it actually is working for you, some questions -
  • What is your RTL-SDR receiving setup… or is it a conventional scanner?
  • Did you end up using a duplexer / triplexer?
  • What coax cable did you use?
… and if you answer the above you’ll help others who are looking for an “independent review” (minus reception comparisons with other antennas) as you were at the beginning of this thread ;-)

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
Ah, sorry.

I'm using (2) SDR-RTL V3 dongles, attached to a coax splitter. I used 25ft of LR240 coax to bring it into the SDR's. I added heatsinks to the dongles - I keep reading that people are overheating theirs. Mine get warm but not hot, but for $6, better safe than sorry.

Compress_20230709_063817_7495.jpg

I am currently working my way through setting up SDRTrunk and can report back on that soon. So far (2 hours radio time) has netted me:
  • Much better analog(?) reception for Fire, Public Safety, and Municipal stuff
  • Aviation is better, but planes only - no line of site to airports from where I'm at.
  • Haven't tried amateur radio yet
This setup is a test, to see how deep I fall into the scanning world again. At this rate, I can see extending the mast another 10ft +/- and using a more competent antenna. That'll be this fall/winter - too dang hot to mess with it right now.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Ah, sorry.

I'm using (2) SDR-RTL V3 dongles, attached to a coax splitter. I used 25ft of LR240 coax to bring it into the SDR's. I added heatsinks to the dongles - I keep reading that people are overheating theirs. Mine get warm but not hot, but for $6, better safe than sorry.

View attachment 145114

I am currently working my way through setting up SDRTrunk and can report back on that soon. So far (2 hours radio time) has netted me:
  • Much better analog(?) reception for Fire, Public Safety, and Municipal stuff
  • Aviation is better, but planes only - no line of site to airports from where I'm at.
  • Haven't tried amateur radio yet
This setup is a test, to see how deep I fall into the scanning world again. At this rate, I can see extending the mast another 10ft +/- and using a more competent antenna. That'll be this fall/winter - too dang hot to mess with it right now.
The coax splitter cable appears to not have any components and is just a straight connection from the coax to the two SDRs. That causes a lot of signal loss to both receivers. You want a splitter with some active components... maybe powered... to cut the losses.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Do you have an example or two of the component you are referencing?
That seemingly simple question has so many answers (and is so hotly debated) that it has its own "Splitters, Filters, and Multicouplers" Forum located here on RR -
Splitters, Filters and Multicouplers
You'll find a wide range of splitters, prices, impedance matches, connectors, and no shortage of persons who insist there is only one way to do it... some very inexpensive, some putting many more $$ into it. Basically what you're trying to do is split the signal without much loss, or without so much gain that it overdrives your receiver(s).
On the lower cost, acceptable performance for "How can I do this without breaking the bank?" solutions, search Electroline, Antop, Leviton, or PCT. If you want to get what some will claim are the best on the high end, search for Stridsberg or Mini Circuits. It's all there in the Forum I've referenced.
Probably best to browse the topics and replies there and then decide if you still have questions. If so, post there where you'll have the eyes of the "multicoupler / splitter experts".

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Meh, it'll do for now. Works as far as I could tell from the hour or so of using it so far. Asphalt shingles in Arizona in the summer really suck.

As I learn the radio, radio systems, etc - fall might be the time for an upgrade.

View attachment 145110

Now I'm off to figure out trunking and digital.
Looks nice !

From the angle you took the picture from, it looks like you put a steeple up for the church of radiology.

Thanks
Joel