Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotman6012

Live in an apartment ground floor on a hill with no obstructions,have 2 windows,one east one west
Monitoring VHF-UHF Air,also local police,fire,ems most are digital Phase 2 Apco 25,there are a few analog still available for now,mostly 150-400 range.
Do not have the patience or tools to build one,will buy the right one(S). Thanks.

lu81fitter

What radio do you have? What are your limitations for antenna placement? Indoors? Outdoors? Outside and "the higher the better" is usually the best. Please provide more information so that the responses can be more helpful. It appears you may need more than one antenna to do well on all of the frequencies. There may be options for you to use one antenna, but it will be a compromise. The best is to use an antenna that is tuned for the band. Please elaborate.

pilotman6012

Fine i have 10 radios,Whistler 1065,Pro 163,Pro-433,Pro-197,Psr-400,,Pro-2052,2 996Xt and 2 996P2.Ground floor apartment,outside is not an option has to be indoors only,i am on a hill so there is no obstructions to either west or east window in the same room with radios,if i have to run cable no more than 25 feet from radios to antenna for better placement.

prcguy

My opinion is a Discone would be the best antenna for your needs. Some other antennas might be a little better on a single specific frequency but the Discone will give you about the same performance across VHF air, VHF public service, UHF air and UHF public service bands. You don't need an expensive Discone and you don't need one with the whip on top for VHF lo either.

You would also need an amplified multicoupler to feed all the scanners with about the same level that comes off the antenna.
prcguy

pilotman6012

Okay thanks i have been thinking about that and i can put it near either window i have a desk near one corner with nothing on it,i do have a secondary antenna,an ST2 i have been using for years i can split at least some for that and another coupler i should be alright,Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.