Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where should I post this question
Which in Antenna to use for the home patrol ?
Any information would be appreciated thank you.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Depends on what bands you are listening to. Lots of options out there, what works for one person may or may not work for you.

I order to even suggest something we need to know what bands you listen to.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Delete: double post.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The most expensive "best" antenna you can buy will not work worth a darn unless it is up high. The first question should always not be "What antenna?" but instead "Where can I put an antenna up high?" What does "up high" mean for the average setup in a house or car?

IN A HOUSE:
BEST: Outdoors on the roof or a gable at the end of the roof. Can you put one on your roof?
NEXT BEST: Indoors in the attic or crawlspace. Can you put an antenna there?
SO-SO: Upper story window.
WORST: The basement. If you have to put the antenna there.... well, don't bother turning on the radio if the intent is to hear things.

IN A VEHICLE:
BEST: At the highest point on the vehicle, usually the roof. Drill a hole and mount permanently.
NEXT BEST: Magnetic mount center of highest point on vehicle.
OK: Somewhere outside the vehicle other than the roof and away from metal obstructions.
USE WITH CAUTION: Thru-the-glass window mount antenna. If your window is metallized it's a bad thing.
WORST: Inside the vehicle (with some locations much worse than others, e.g. under the dash or in the trunk).

So my fellow scannists, ask not which antenna is best, but ask which mounting location is best.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Do you by chance have a TV antenna on your roof? You wrote that you listen to 700/800 mHz and UHF/VHF. TV antennas are very good at that and inexpensive. And no installation necessary if you already have one! You'll need an adapter to go from the TV antenna line/coax to your scanner. But that's easy to do compared to going on the roof. If it works, you can make it even better by turning the antenna to make all the elements (pointy rods) vertical instead of parallel to the ground.
The drawback to the TV antenna is that most of them are directional. If the stuff you are trying to listen to is in the direction the antenna is pointing, then you're in luck. If not, you'll need to rotate the antenna to point toward the area you want to receive.
You can buy special antennas for scanners that receive in all directions. But if you do that you must absolutely:
A - Spend more money
B - Get on the roof
C - Find a mounting location and necessary brackets, etc.
D - Drill holes, run cable, install lightning protection, etc.
If you want a special scanner antenna and are OK with doing A, B, C, and D.... then check the base scanner antenna listings here:
Scanner Antennas - The RadioReference Wiki
There is also one other place that is popular here on RR that I don't see in the Wiki:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/antennas-191/
When you get to that page click on "Base Antennas".

teufler

106 and your scanner

106 is a good scanner but guess its gone. Try your cb antenna hooke to the scanner . Yoy would be surprised just getting some metal in the air how well the scanner works. may beed an adapter for the db coax but they don't cost much.

Status
Not open for further replies.