AntennaCraft ST2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durango-Kid

All the ST2 was, was multiple vertical dipole antennas, cut for various frequencies, and all connected to a single feed point.
I have the dimensions if any one is interested.
I now have the elements measurements. But since it was a drawing not to size that doesn't give me the size of the arrow element nor the angle of the elements.
Not sure if I want to put the 50" one on. What would be a good sub for it?
One other thing I am using 3/16" copper, can I slide the 1/4" PVC over the copper to give better support but would that cut my reception down?
Bob

trp2525

Yeh, they originally sold for $29/95.

That $29.95 price that you posted for a genuine Antennacraft Scantenna ST-2 must be from WAY back as I have a 2010 Grove Enterprises catalog (from 7 years ago) in my hands and the price back then was $49.95 plus additional shipping charges.

Durango-Kid

Yes, that is true. Depending where you bought it they were priced from $29.95 to $50.00. The lowest price was at Radio Shack which Antenna Craft was a sub of Radio Shack.

trp2525

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a brand-new Scantenna, I noticed there is currently one up for sale on eBay. It's the Radio Shack-branded version catalog/model number 20-042 (with the blue insulators as opposed to the black insulators on the Antennacraft-branded version). The "Buy It Now" price is currently $299.99 plus $24.99 Economy Shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Radio-...ectional-20-042-Antennacraft-ST2/253236444431

N9JIG

Sheriff
I remember wh en the ST-2 was 29.00 at Radio Shack. The Channel Master cost $50 to $100 at one point.

When RadioShack was closing them out 8 or 9 years ago I bought 3 of them for $5.00 each and scoured the area for more. I finally got a friendly sales guy who was able to look up where any more were and it looked like I had the last for a hundred miles in any direction. I still have these 3 plus one other I bought from a friend in my attic, they are now in their second attic!

Not long after they cleared out the USB programming cables (the orange ones) for $10 each and I bought a dozen. I gave a couple away to friends over the years but still have a bunch. I have 6 in use right now in my scanner rack and a couple saved for future use.

questnz

Question. A very popular ST-2 is NO longer commercially available and made, yet seems to me that the demand is still there. Why no other reputable antenna manufacturer in US making exact copy of the original. All original details are well known on public domain, materials easily available. What is holding someone to start manufacturing ST-2X. Even for $100-120 it will be a bargain as long as the performance is similar. It puzzled me for the last few years, why?

stingray327

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a brand-new Scantenna, I noticed there is currently one up for sale on eBay. It's the Radio Shack-branded version catalog/model number 20-042 (with the blue insulators as opposed to the black insulators on the Antennacraft-branded version). The "Buy It Now" price is currently $299.99 plus $24.99 Economy Shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Radio-...ectional-20-042-Antennacraft-ST2/253236444431

Whoa! that's alot. I am glad I got a bunch of the last ones for sale.

kd7ckq

Wow, I can't believe I use to have two of those. Bought them both cheap at Radio Shack. I bought one and got a deal on the second to make room in their storage. Out the door for around $50.
One was loaned to a uncle of mine. The other to a local ambulance company. The one my uncle had was destroyed when debris hit it in a wind storm. The other was "lost" when the Ambulance company moved.
I wish I still had one.

e737

Also Channel Master sold this antenna before which was a higher end model of the ST-2 antenna. One could always look under this brand name.
I think if enough of us show interest perhaps we could persuade them to make it...The demand is huge for these

Status
Not open for further replies.