Antenna's @ truck stops / KTA

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

At any truck stop / gas station on the KTA when you go in side the station's you see all these CB radio's
& antenna's & other things hanging on the wall. My question is this, Is any of those antenna's good for a Police Scanner, or are they only for CB radio's ? Thanks in advanced.

marksmith

It's going to have the wrong connector on it to start.

It will work on a scanner with an adaptor but not as good as a scanner antenna.

Don't use it on your scanner and CB at the same time. Transmitting will kill your scanner.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I have never seen a scanner antenna at a truck stop. Maybe you might get a CB antenna that advertises WX receive, but I've read those don't even perform well at that.

byndhlptom

CB antennas for scanner

Depends.....

If it is a base loaded antenna, odds are it will work marginally as a VHF-lo and poorly for any higher frequencies

It is a simple whip, It usually works great as a VHF-lo, OK as a VHF-hi and not so good at UHF/800

If it's two phased antennas, it will probably work, but very interesting (or weird) pattern.

Same applies to base antennas, if it has a base loading coil, not so good, etc.

as always, YMMV

DJ11DLN

And, every thing seemed to be over priced and over rated at the "local truck stop".

Very much so. Everything I ever checked at a truck stop "store" was anywhere from 20% to as much as well over 100% more than it could be had for retail.

I have actually seen scanners and antennas (both accordingly over-priced) at a few truck stops in the past...haven't actually looked in quite awhile though. It's possible. But just about anything at a truck stop -- except maybe the fuel -- is going to be over-priced to a fare-thee-well. It's called "captive marketing.":roll:

Francosis

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Antennas@truck stops

REAL truck stops are not even on highways "which are linear" because they require more overall real estate then the average 4 wheeler could possibly imagine, a great majority of 4 wheelers call D.O.T. owned Interstate Service Centers "truck stops who cater exclusively to medium & large size commercial rigs which includes mechanics, washers & dryers, showers & overnight rest accommodations & only charge what the market will bear", D.O.T. owned Service Centers provide space to rent out at exorbitant fees to private vendors who pass that on to the unsuspecting motorist plus they have a large amount of dedicated parking slots for 18 wheelers & considerately more diesel pumps in their fueling bays then the average full service mega gas station, D.O.T. Service center prices will always be higher as any convenience outlet charges for just that: CONVENIENCE, it is what it is.

As you can see from the photos that this truck stop is in no way on any interstate, still an interesting read, enjoy.

www.roadtripamerica.com/tips/Truck-Stops-Not-Just-For-truckers.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.