antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

i THINK YOU MEAN RS 800 MHZ VS THE CONDOR. I HAVE NOT USED THE RS VERSION AS ITS JUST A 800 MHZ ANTENNA AND I HAVE SEVERAL BUT THE CONDOR IS MY ANTENNA OF CHOICE. THE SPECTRE IS THE MOBIL ANTENNA I USE. BOTH ARE PRICEY BUT THE CONDOR GIVES YOU 800 COVERAGE PLUS MORE WHILE THE RS 800 IS JUST FOR 800. ONLY SHOWS IT COMES IN A BNC ONLY SO YOU WILL NEED AN ADAPTER IF YOU GO TO A SMA RADIO. THE SPECTRE ANTENNA I HAVE HAD SINE 2000 AND OTHER THAN THE BLACK COILS ARE ALITTLE FADED, THERE IS NO CORROSION OR BREAKAGE IN THE COILS.

br0adband

I owned an Austin Condor many years ago, paid a rather princely sum for it (like $42 or something a decade ago) and was disappointed in the performance from the minute I hooked it to my BC246T - was very weak on 800 MHz compared to the RS 800 at that time, weak on VHF and UHF reception compared to the Diamond RHC77A, and generally I have to say I was extremely disappointed in it overall considering the price I'd paid for it.

Overall in my own experience, the Diamond RHC77A is still the best "wideband" reception antenna I've ever used (since I've never had any interest whatsoever in transmitting) aside from a plain old telescopic whip that I could manually tune to the given frequency bands when needed. The RS 800 MHz is remarkably useful at VHF and UHF frequencies too, just not nearly as much as the RHC77A is given it's design.

If you're serious about monitoring, however, one antenna will never suffice, you'll have to acquire a few different ones. :p

Just my $.02...

awattam

Weird

I could have written that last post word for word. I too tried the Austin Condor and was sorely disappointed. The RS800mhz always performs well as does the Diamond RHC77A.
On a side note, I just picked up one of those Larsen tri banders this weekend and consigned my virtually unused Austin Spectra at Ham Radio Outlet. The Larsen is outstanding!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.