Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
About an hour ago I had something odd happen. Earlier today I purchased a new speaker mic for my handi-talkie. So, as I'm out and about this afternoon I've had the HT clipped to my belt and the mic attached to the lapel of my jacket. Well, I walk into the gazebo where our mailbox is located - we live in an apartment community - and my radio went completely silent. It didn't make any sense because it is open all the way around including the roof which has a faux bell tower. As soon as I walked back into the parking lot, it started working again. All I can figure is, since the gazebo is the lowest point in the community, the signal was just shooting right over the top of me. Anybody have other theories/explanations?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
What's the gazebo made of? Are you surrounded by metal where the mailboxes are? That might affect the signal but also how far from what you were listening to were you?

There's this one spot in my driveway where I cannot hit a repeater less than 10 miles away while sitting in my truck with 50 watts and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna! I move forward or backward and I'm OK. Maybe that particular spot is just in a "hole" of the coverage.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Most likely a hole, they're common.

"I move forward or backward and I'm OK."

Also common, multipath reception is the cause. Without getting too technical, when waves arrive at the antenna out of phase they cancel so moving slightly changes the phase relationship and signals return. You might have experienced picket fencing, fluttering when the vehicle is in motion. Also common when waves are short enough you quickly move in and out of black holes.

Now if you carry an HT out to the mailbox you might be suffering from RF addiction. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.