Any Kindle Owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just ordered a refurbished Kindle Gen. 1 from Amazon. I choose the Gen. 1 over the Kindle 2 because of the Google Maps/Faux GPS.

Kindle easter eggs: Google Maps cell-based location, picture viewer, and more -- Engadget

From what I have read, this feature does not work on Kindle 2 because Amazon switched carriers from Sprint to ATT and ATT modems do not have a cell based location feature built in.

I would be interested to hear from Kindle owners how well this feature works and how happy you are with your Kindle 1 or 2.

My Kindle should be delivered on Tue and I will have 30 days to decide if it will be a keeper. I really like the text to speech feature in the Kindle 2, so if the GPS feature does not work very well it will probably be swithced out for a Kindle 2.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
My wife has the 1st generation, but only uses it for reading and I only have picked it up briefly to play with. Only thing I found, I thought the page change buttons were not well placed. They seemed to get in the way of putting the device in a carrier/protective sleeve. Pictures of the 2nd generation I recall moved them, I think? I really liked the display device surface appearance and character display.

Not much help with you main question of interest, I am sure someone will come along with better input.

Mike

E-Man

Banned
My wife has the 1st generation, but only uses it for reading and I only have picked it up briefly to play with. Only thing I found, I thought the page change buttons were not well placed. They seemed to get in the way of putting the device in a carrier/protective sleeve. Pictures of the 2nd generation I recall moved them, I think? I really liked the display device surface appearance and character display.

Not much help with you main question of interest, I am sure someone will come along with better input.

Mike

I have read the page turning buttons were a common complaint, and they have been changed.

E-Man

Banned
Update, I thought I was purchasing a Kindle first addition but received a Kindle 2. I have enjoyed the Kindle 2 so much that its a keeper.

Unfortunately the GPS Feature does not work on the Kindle 2 and it sounds like it may no longer work on the Kindle 1 from what I have heard due to firmware updates?

On the Kindle 2 US Version (Sprint) if you Hit:

Home/Menu/Settings/611 Lat. and Long. will be displayed along with other info.

If you write your Lat. and Long down, then go to Google Maps on the Kindle 2 and enter that info, the location shown will be the Cell Tower location that you are connected to.

Kinda cool and interesting, but not real useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.