Any listeners in Pampa, TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Hello. I live in Oklahoma City right now but am looking into a job offer in Pampa, TX. There is very little information in the database for Gray County at all and very few FCC licenses, either. I was wondering if there is anyone living in Pampa who could give me some information about monitoring there or about the town in general. If preferred, a PM would be fine as well. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

jhooten

The Panhandle is relatively flat, towers are tall, and signals carry forever. BUT, the population density is low, towns for the most part are on the smaller end of the scale and have a handfull of frequencies that are in use by all the city departments. You would work hard to fill up a 200 channel scanner.

I spent my Panhadle time next door in Borger so I can't tell you much about Pampa proper. The area is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. You can see the tornado comming for hours before it gets to you because there are no trees to obstruct your view. There are plenty of things to do and see. Life is mellow and laid back. All in all it is not a bad place to live.

Gilligan

Database Admin
jhooten said:
The Panhandle is relatively flat, towers are tall, and signals carry forever. BUT, the population density is low, towns for the most part are on the smaller end of the scale
So if I want to actually hear much police action, how far out could I expect to hear on a handheld? Are they strong enough that you can hear 50 miles out or probably just like 25-30? I would bring a mobile antenna w/ me but I'm just curious what I could hear on a handheld w/ a stock antenna.

Also - I've never lived in a small town like this (20,000). So are the police freqs completely dead or would I actually get to hear anything?

jhooten

They can be busy but the excitement factor is not high. Mostly routine traffic and call dispatch. You will hear the occasional chase, Pampa has several highways running through it. It will seem dead compared to OKC.

30 miles on a hand-held is no problem. 50 is common with some of the higher towers. A lot of the agencies use VHF simplex systems. So you may only hear the dispatch side from other cities. I used to get 75 miles or better on the mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.