Any scanner hobbyist in the western panhandle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Hello Everyone.
Just wondering if there any other scanner hobbyist in my area? I've been using scanners for over 20 + years. My first scanner was an old crystal unit where I had to buy the frequencies at the local electronic store. Now I use the Pro-2006, Pro-93, BCD396T and the BCD996T. I live in the Navarre area. I listen to the following in my area:

Santa Rosa County
Okaloosa County
Ft. Walton Beach
Hurlburt Field
Eglin AFB
Walton County
Escambia County
Pensacola
Bay County<--Weak but readable

I can even pick up traffic in Baldwin & Escambia counties in Alabama thanks to the Scantenna I have installed. I found a bunch of great links with freqs and I'm always finding new traffic each day. Again, just seeing who is in my area. Maybe were listening to the same traffic. I've tried the EazyStream software and I'm thinking about setting up a live feed one day. Just deciding if $50 is worth the high price.

ke4ppj

There's some good listening down there in N. Western Florida.
I was down there last week on vacation and I enjoyed it. I mainly listened to Okaloosa and Walton counties. If you ever put up a feed I'll be listening.

Grivo

I'm in Pensacola and have also been a scanner and shortwave enthusiast for over twenty years. I kinda got out of it for a while but the bug has bitten me once again.

DFD403

I'm a volunteer fireman with Dorcas FD in Okaloosa County (north). I listen mainly to Ok Co. and Walton Co. Just bought a BCT15 and am trying to figure it out! My other scanner is a Pro-82 handheld. I work on Eglin AFB and usually can't get streaming feeds due to the base's firewall restrictions.

wise871

Database Admin
For those of you in the Panhandle. I've been sending in updates weekly on currently used frequencies in my area. Everyday I get more detailed information on which channel is being used and I discover new frequencies.

Last edited:

Grivo

wise871 said:
For those of you in the Panhandle. I've been sending in updates weekly on currently used frequencies in my area. Everyday I get more detailed information on which channel is being used and I discover new frequencies.

Thank you.
I hope to be doing this soon as well. I'm waiting on a scantenna and spare time to install it.

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
I heard on the channel 3 news last night that Okaloosa County will be converting to the State Wide Nextel system within the next 2 years. Drat! The days of monitoring our public servants is about to come to an end! The Nextel system is un-monitorable! Maybe they will cjange their minds -- I hope so. I have been monitoring these guys for 20 years or so.

jharr465

Premium Subscriber
Sorry! I was mistaken about the type ofsystem Okaloosa County is switching to. It is the SLERS M/A-COM system that the State Highway Patrol and other LE units in Florida use. It is still un-monitorable, though.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Do any of you have info on frequencies used in Liberty County... I never find anything reliable on that.

TIA

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Good to meet somone from the area. I'm over in Baldwin county and I regularly monitor Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties as well as the military installations. Come by and join my Yahoo group for south alabama and northwest florida specific information! We can certainly use more active monitors like yourself.

wise871 said:
Hello Everyone.
Just wondering if there any other scanner hobbyist in my area? I've been using scanners for over 20 + years. My first scanner was an old crystal unit where I had to buy the frequencies at the local electronic store. Now I use the Pro-2006, Pro-93, BCD396T and the BCD996T. I live in the Navarre area. I listen to the following in my area:

Santa Rosa County
Okaloosa County
Ft. Walton Beach
Hurlburt Field
Eglin AFB
Walton County
Escambia County
Pensacola
Bay County<--Weak but readable

I can even pick up traffic in Baldwin & Escambia counties in Alabama thanks to the Scantenna I have installed. I found a bunch of great links with freqs and I'm always finding new traffic each day. Again, just seeing who is in my area. Maybe were listening to the same traffic. I've tried the EazyStream software and I'm thinking about setting up a live feed one day. Just deciding if $50 is worth the high price.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Hey Alt, haven't seen you around in awhile! How have you been?!?

If the group hasn't, check out his page in his link. He's got everything in the NW FL area on it. Great site!

Altpensacola

where are we?

kingpin said:
Hey Alt, haven't seen you around in awhile! How have you been?!?

If the group hasn't, check out his page in his link. He's got everything in the NW FL area on it. Great site!
I've been were everyone else went - myspace!
any way I've been getting the emails from your Yahoo group.

Hey everyone join the yahoo group for all updates for west fla/south alabama

bear105

wise871 said:
I've tried the EazyStream software and I'm thinking about setting up a live feed one day. Just deciding if $50 is worth the high price.

I used to live in Pcola during my military days and scanned the region quite actively. I would definitely listen if you set up a feed...TIA.

cubn

Database Admin
Pensacola question - Univ. of W Florida TRS

To those of you in Pensacola, can anyone confirm if the University of West Florida still operates their own Motorola trunked system using the following frequencies (this system isn’t in the Radioreference.com database):

WPNS502

I went to a Pensacola Pelicans game at the university a few summers ago and the university police officer had a Motorola 800 MHz portable, but I didn't know if they had their own TRS or if they were on the city TRS.

I had posted this question before here, but it didn’t get any replies.

Thanks.

Altpensacola

Uwf

What I have:
University Of West Florida Police

id's
00368 (Call Boxes on Campus)

Not verified, I don't listen to them.

wise871

Database Admin
jharr465 said:
I heard on the channel 3 news last night that Okaloosa County will be converting to the State Wide Nextel system within the next 2 years. Drat! The days of monitoring our public servants is about to come to an end! The Nextel system is un-monitorable! Maybe they will cjange their minds -- I hope so. I have been monitoring these guys for 20 years or so.

I'm surprised that out of all the counties in Florida that Okaloosa County would be switching to the new state system. This is something you would expect in one of the major cities. I've been listening to them for over 15 years and would be sad from a hobbyist point of view to see them switch over to the state system. OC provides some of the best listening in the area besides Escambia County on the weekends. Since I live in Santa Rosa County, I’m able to pick up most of the area with my Scantenna between Baldwin County Alabama to Bay County Florida. I know the County will have to fork out a ton of money for the upgrade. I wonder if they’ll be able to do it. I know OC is not very good about spending the tax payer’s dollars in the area. I own the BCD396 & 996 (so I can also listen to Hurlburt Field and Eglin AFB). Maybe I’ll get two more years out of them before 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.