Any tricks on receiving a simulcast system on a new 996XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
Got a new 996XT about a month ago to monitor the Minnesota ARMER system, so far I have had less than satisfactory results.

System is a multisite simulcast system, I'm sitting less than 6 miles from one site 15 from the main site. Good chance I can receive at least 3 different sites at my location.

Recovered audio is choppy at best on the system.

Using freescan in remote mode, the P25 error bargraph shows full scale most of the time. Signal strenth is 75-90%.

Things I have tried so far..

Using the attenuator
Different location
Using a directional antenna towards each site. (This helps with the distant site tests)

Changed the P25 decode levels in the advanced menu.

Firmware is the current 1.04

Programing a different distant site works much better, audio is not what I would expect however. I know its digital and not going to sound like a true Motorola radio. I have heard much better out of a 396XT

Jerry

W6KRU

It sounds like you are in the same situation as me. Try running no antenna or a minimal (paper clip) antenna. For me, no antenna, just the sma-bnc adapter works as well as anything else.

kb8rvp

Have you tried driving to one of the tower sites to confirm that you can get clean audio from the system? Normally an 800MHz beam pointed right at one of the sites work but if you drive right to the site and still get bad receive the beam antenna won't work either.

The Genesee County Michigan simulcast system can be hard to receive too but when I drive within a mile or two of a tower location my 396XT works great until I start driving away and get just a couple miles away I can't listen anymore but a 800MHz beam on this system pointed at one of the towers works well.

Mike

scott

Feed Provider
Disable attenuator

My problem may be different from yours, but I had the exact same issue with our JPD digital signal (Jackson, MS). I was 12 miles by air to the tower and knew that I should be receiving a good signal.

I disabled the attenuator (unchecked the option in my programming software) then reuploaded. It began showing me the full signal strength indicator whereas I was receive one signal strength bar when attenuator was active.

I hope it solves your problem as well.

n0fwg

Premium Subscriber
I do not think it is the attenuator, I have toggled that multiple times and it performs as expected.

I have not taken it out for a drive test to a area close to a tower site, I thought about doing that earlier.

I have taken to work with me where we are 6 blocks from a site on a different zone and that worked very well.

Right now its in the hands of a friend who is comparing it to his older 396, initial comments are audio is much better on the 896. However something is strange with my local system.

BTW is this is on the Minnesota 800Mhz armer system with Enfield 04-040 zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.