• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

anyone able to get a CB antenna to work on a Jeep TJ it's like the old CJ's??

niceguy71

Finding my brackets was the easy part; remembering which forum I was supposed to respond back was the hard part. I looked all over the Jeep forum for my previous message and realized that it was on this forum.

Oh well, the little bracket was from Rugged Radios and the other bracket was from either Extreme Terrain or Teraflex.

Laird Antenna has NMO Non-Ground Plane antennas. Essentially, there are no good ground planes on Jeeps. The Laird has a base loaded coil non-ground plane and Phantom Non-ground plane. I have both but I don't usd them on my Jeep. I use a Larsen Glass-Mount Antenna on my Jeep wigh great success.
View attachment 167807
View attachment 167808
View attachment 167809
View attachment 167810
thank you Nokones
so those are the ones that work good huh... and a Firestick II... ok thanks for the info..

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Grabbed a couple of Jeep A-Pillar brackets from DTB Radio in Carlisle, PA alike to those shown above. Owner had his Jeep set up that way for other than CB.

Looked handy to me for my own uses.

niceguy71

Im familiar with nearly all the brackets for Jeeps. I avoid most of them due to poor ground plane issues or placing the antenna way below hood level. Here is the best picture of my mount I can come up with at the moment. There is some rubber stuff around the hood edge that obscures the underside of the trunk lip mount but hopefully you can tell if my hood is similar to the one your working with.

View attachment 167792
thank you PRCGUY... it took me a few minutes to figure out the picture... now I know why you couldn't figure out my picture!.... if you're just looking at it.. it takes a bit of orientation.
that hood looks like a normal hood that I am used too... similar to the trunk lip... I can see the mount.... similar to my K40 mount but it looks much thicker.... I can see that a K-40 trunk lip would work on your style hood....... might be too tight but NEVER on my friends Jeep.
sadly my friends 2005 Jeep is nothing like it...... I'll take a picture of a cake pan and my K-40 lip mount..... as I said his is just bend to a 90 degree angle and the hood hangs down an inch ... so if I put a normal lip mount on it... and shut the hood the antenna would be going through the firewall and stick out level with the steering wheel

niceguy71

It’s hard to understand the edge of the hood in the picture but it looks fairly typical to me. When it’s closed is there a slight gap between the edge of the hood and the cowl, maybe 3/16 to 1/4” gap? Is the edge of the hood thin across the cowl area like just two layers of sheet metal for 1/2” to 1” before it gets thick?

If so the trunk lip mount sits on top of the hood and wraps from the top edge of the hood at the cowl around the hood edge between the hood and cowl then goes under the hood for about 1/2” where two set screws dig into the underside edge of the hood. I would send a detailed picture but I’m out of town at the moment.
I don't have the Jeep here for a picture... but I looked at his hood pretty closely and it is just a giant Cake Pan
in the below pictures I am using a 2 inch deep cake pan... his hood lip is a little over an inch.. but the hood and lip is just like the below pan.....
I am using the cake pan as the hood and have my K-40 lip mount on the back lip of the hood... as you can see.. sadly not going to work.
and I don't see a way to put a lip mount on it..
so if I can find a flat spot I can drill ..I'll drill a NMO mount into the rear right side of the hood.

in the hood picture you can see the hood hinge bolts that is the underside of the hood... in the picture above that is like a beam that goes across the hood... under the hinge bolts is the back of the hood lip.. it is two pieces of metal spot welded together... but it basically looks like a cake pan edge.

I thank you PRCGUY for your idea's and all your time.

Attachments

• Hood pan 2.jpg
    Hood pan 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hood pan 3.jpg
    Hood pan 3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Hood pan 1.jpg
    Hood pan 1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • jeep hood lip.jpg
    jeep hood lip.jpg