• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

anyone able to get a CB antenna to work on a Jeep TJ it's like the old CJ's??

slowmover

HOLY S%$T. I have bought these for 1/10 the price. Alhough I would suggest something like this for roof top, there are a couple that are better performers. The Wilson 1000M mag mount, and I have seen a jeep with one stuck just forward the windshild hinge. They are LONG, like 64 inches. Lockheed says they are the best antenna on the planet. (1000 times better than K-40)
There is one other though, the Sirio 5000 performer. About the same length, and similar coil design. I would like to run one through the wringer and see how it compares. It looks like the whip could be fitted with a quick disconnect, or either is flexible enough to be bent over and clipped to a gutter.
Lever release to fold over. Several models, so take time before ordering.

IMG_1394.jpeg

JustinWHT

The lack of a flat metal ground plane will have a 6 to 9 dB loss (towards direct without ground plane) over a roof top base loaded CB antenna. FR my experience with an antenna mounted 6" from rear of roof on my crew cab compared to center mount.

Fire Stick no ground plane CB antenna.

I've seen antennas mounted on the spare tire bracket and on front bumper.
GMRS Antenna Installation for GMRS UHF antennas, but will give you ideas.

niceguy71

The lack of a flat metal ground plane will have a 6 to 9 dB loss (towards direct without ground plane) over a roof top base loaded CB antenna. FR my experience with an antenna mounted 6" from rear of roof on my crew cab compared to center mount.

Fire Stick no ground plane CB antenna.

I've seen antennas mounted on the spare tire bracket and on front bumper.
GMRS Antenna Installation for GMRS UHF antennas, but will give you ideas.
JustinWHT ..... it's certainly not easy to get a CB system to work on a Jeep nearly as good as other vehicles. I've been playing with a tail-light mount and a spare tire mount... so far I have yet to get a decent ground for the antenna to work correctly... future plan is on the hood and I believe that will work best for a jeep but still not as good as a vehicle with a roof.