Anyone in Central Florida with R1801 programmer?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Anyone in Central Florida (Orlando / Seminole County area) with R1801 programmer? I want to program an MX300-S code plug with part number NLN7303A. I think this is a one time programmable PROM so the R1801 would need to be so equipped and in pretty good shape (not glitchy).

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
yes, REV A and B are one-time Proms. REV C and D are EE proms.
I remember reading somewhere that a A and B prom can be programmed by zone, so if zone A is programmed (and useless to you) and B C D are blank, you can program what you want on zone B,C,D then somewhere in the radio is a jumper to select zone B, if it is only a single zone radio. interestingly, I've taken apart some of the modules from the 70s and they contain SMT circuits. I thought SMT came out in the mid 80s.

the MX was such advanced technology for its day.
I had an R1801 about 20 years ago and the thing was not built well, it was, in my opinion meant to sit on a bench for its entire life, not be carried around, so much wiggle wobble from inside it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

yes, REV A and B are one-time Proms. REV C and D are EE proms.
I remember reading somewhere that a A and B prom can be programmed by zone, so if zone A is programmed (and useless to you) and B C D are blank, you can program what you want on zone B,C,D then somewhere in the radio is a jumper to select zone B, if it is only a single zone radio. interestingly, I've taken apart some of the modules from the 70s and they contain SMT circuits. I thought SMT came out in the mid 80s.

the MX was such advanced technology for its day.
I had an R1801 about 20 years ago and the thing was not built well, it was, in my opinion meant to sit on a bench for its entire life, not be carried around, so much wiggle wobble from inside it.
When I worked at Mot, I typed "QUALITY" into one and it echoed back QUALITY NOT FOUND !!!

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
not that it helps much, but I have not seen one of these in functional condition for 20 years. Hopefully someone can help you.... we had MX300R VHF portables during my time in the Navy. The battery on those things was like $600 govt cost. Eventually went to DES Saber 2R's.... awesome radios for their day.

RFI-EMI-GUY

not that it helps much, but I have not seen one of these in functional condition for 20 years. Hopefully someone can help you.... we had MX300R VHF portables during my time in the Navy. The battery on those things was like $600 govt cost. Eventually went to DES Saber 2R's.... awesome radios for their day.
Yeah; I am primarily a Systems Saber user. Those I have nearly all spares and tools to service.

I got a crazy idea to build a GMRS PX-300S a while back and now embarking on a second. In the process I ended up re-aquiring all the MX-300 stuff I had given away or sold over the years.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Yeah; I am primarily a Systems Saber user. Those I have nearly all spares and tools to service.

I got a crazy idea to build a GMRS PX-300S a while back and now embarking on a second. In the process I ended up re-aquiring all the MX-300 stuff I had given away or sold over the years.
there is a vintage Moto group on FB ... you might try that.