AOR DV1 music on the AM air band

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
Hello, the HPN-30118 is made here in Czech republic, you can buy it at DD-amtek for example. I have many such filters in my shack, all work as designed.
Try to contact them if they ship to Poland, I think this is much easier than bring it from US. The price is cca 23 USD :) when converted from CZK to USD.
They also sell HPN-30118-T with a parallel choke at the input side, that conducts static electricity from Discone type antennas.
They have plenty of other filters, preamps, attenuators, splitters, etc... for various bands:
Oh yes!
This is probably what I'm looking for. I wrote a message to the seller. He has the entire range in his store! I almost ordered from the USA and now I have a faster alternative from a neighboring country. Thank you for your help!!!!!!

rumcajs_tr

Oh yes!
This is probably what I'm looking for. I wrote a message to the seller. He has the entire range in his store! I almost ordered from the USA and now I have a faster alternative from a neighboring country. Thank you for your help!!!!!!
If you fail to get the seller to send it to Poland, just let me know via private message here on RR. I can probably buy for you what you need and send it to your address, if all other ways fail. :)

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
If you fail to get the seller to send it to Poland, just let me know via private message here on RR. I can probably buy for you what you need and send it to your address, if all other ways fail. :)
Only now I saw that you are my neighbor ;) Great! Thank you for your help! The store's website states that they ship to Europe, so I don't think there will be a problem. Again thank you very much!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's a thread that would be very useful for some more background info on filters

Mike

G7RUX

I would first make sure that you can rule out a fault with the DV1. I myself also have a DV1 and operate it with a Diamond X-50. The local VHF radio station is about 3.5 KM (as the crow flies) away, but I have no spillover from the radio range in the aircraft radio band. Do you have the possibility to test another station receiver on your antenna?
The problem with intermodulation is that how it manifests depends heavily on the frequency relationships. They tend, with wideband receivers, to lead to a raising of the noise floor in certain frequency ranges if they don’t give rise to identifiable carriers. Consequently the same receiver will behave very differently in what appear to be very similar situations.

rumcajs_tr

One more comment - please try to identify the source of the radio broadcast to choose the proper filter. There is a great difference if the broadcast comes from shortwave AM radio station or whether it comes from CCIR FM radio band:
  • AM longwave / shortwave radio band varies from 0 to 30MHz, the modulation is usually AM and if the transmitter is close, it can heavily impact all your reception. However, nowadays, the LW/SW radio stations are becoming obsolete in Europe and are turned off one after another. It usually have huge antennas (towers) and you can find on the web the location of such transmitters. The power can be hundreds of MW in power.
  • FM CCIR radio broadcast is located in the low VHF band in the area of 88-108MHz. The modulation is WFM (wide FM). This band is very close to the AIR band and the CCIR FM broadcast is usually responsible for the so called "bleeding" of radio broadcast into AIR band even though the transmission is in WFM and the AIR is in AM.
If you suffer from the first case (SW radio broadcast), you have to buy HPN-30118, which is a combination of 30MHz high pass filter and 80-118 notch filter, so it blocks everything below 30MHz and also blocks everything in the 80-118 MHz range. However, because of this, you loose the HF reception below 30 MHz on the receiver (HF bands, CB band, ...), so it is only recommended if you have a separate HF antenna and a combiner to use them both on the same antenna port.

If your problem is coming from the FM CCIR radio broadcast (stations between 88-108MHz), you should consider NF-88118 instead of HPN-30118. NF-88118 is a notch filter, which filters just the FM broadcast band, but pass through everything under 88MHz and above 118 MHz, so you will keep the reception below 30 MHz on your discone.

The easiest way to detect what is the source of the music signal is to grab a FM radio and try to find the same music, which plays on the scanner, after that you will be sure that this is some local FM station. My guess is this is the case.

kamilkamien

Premium Subscriber
One more comment - please try to identify the source of the radio broadcast to choose the proper filter. There is a great difference if the broadcast comes from shortwave AM radio station or whether it comes from CCIR FM radio band:
  • AM longwave / shortwave radio band varies from 0 to 30MHz, the modulation is usually AM and if the transmitter is close, it can heavily impact all your reception. However, nowadays, the LW/SW radio stations are becoming obsolete in Europe and are turned off one after another. It usually have huge antennas (towers) and you can find on the web the location of such transmitters. The power can be hundreds of MW in power.
  • FM CCIR radio broadcast is located in the low VHF band in the area of 88-108MHz. The modulation is WFM (wide FM). This band is very close to the AIR band and the CCIR FM broadcast is usually responsible for the so called "bleeding" of radio broadcast into AIR band even though the transmission is in WFM and the AIR is in AM.
If you suffer from the first case (SW radio broadcast), you have to buy HPN-30118, which is a combination of 30MHz high pass filter and 80-118 notch filter, so it blocks everything below 30MHz and also blocks everything in the 80-118 MHz range. However, because of this, you loose the HF reception below 30 MHz on the receiver (HF bands, CB band, ...), so it is only recommended if you have a separate HF antenna and a combiner to use them both on the same antenna port.

If your problem is coming from the FM CCIR radio broadcast (stations between 88-108MHz), you should consider NF-88118 instead of HPN-30118. NF-88118 is a notch filter, which filters just the FM broadcast band, but pass through everything under 88MHz and above 118 MHz, so you will keep the reception below 30 MHz on your discone.

The easiest way to detect what is the source of the music signal is to grab a FM radio and try to find the same music, which plays on the scanner, after that you will be sure that this is some local FM station. My guess is this is the case.
All this information is very useful. Where I live, there are a mix of radio stations from Poland and Germany that operate on similar FM bands. What I recorded was clearly music from commercial radio. Unfortunately, at the moment I have no way to check what music it is from which station. On the Polish side, the nearest FM transmitter of commercial stations is 50 km away and it easily covers my town.
I'm wondering whether to buy the NF-88118 or HPN-30118 filter
I don't listen to HF now, but that may change in time. The question is how one behaves towards the other. I talked to a filter seller from Poland and he said that a filter that operates on a narrow band, e.g. 108-136 mHz, will be more effective than one that operates at 108-250 mHz. He said that the smaller the range to be covered by the filtration, the more effective it is. I do not know. I'm waiting for a response from the store in the Czech Republic ;)

G7RUX

As a related note, I have a Yaesu VR-5000 (bought cheap at a rally) that I use for airband monitoring most of the time and this receiver suffers terribly from intermods. In my case this is caused by FM broadcast radio in Band II and manifests mostly as a hugely raised noise floor across the whole of VHF air band but especially in the lower half. Installing a NooElec Distill:FM bandstop filter just before the receiver input almost completely resolves the issue. I'm sure better filters are available (in fact I know they are as I have a few) but these are eaily available, cheap and extremely effective.

Ubbe

If you don't need to receive the 70MHz-80MHz band then the ZBSF-95+ are the best one when it comes to a huge broadcast attenuation and still pass 118MHz. The DV1 has a internal bandpass filter for 100MHz-180MHz so are very wide and includes the FM broadcast frequency range so will always need a broadcast bandstop filter to be used for VHF reception.

I have the HPN30118 as I need to receive 85MHz and used a VNA to sweep it and had to adjust the coils inside it to tune it more exact, but it is pretty good as it is from the factory and also attenuate shortwave if that are needed. At one time the soldering broke between the components and the BNC connector so keep an eye out for that.

The AOR DV1 receiver do not perform to what its price tag would indicate. There are lots of users who complain that it so easily overloads. It has a lot of features and functions but the receiver in it are terrible.

/Ubbe

G7RUX

The AOR DV1 receiver do not perform to what its price tag would indicate. There are lots of users who complain that it so easily overloads. It has a lot of features and functions but the receiver in it are terrible.

/Ubbe

To be honest I suspect this is reasonably true for many non-pro wideband scanner receivers and quite a few of them seen to benefit from the addition of some appropriate filtering for the intended purpose. My personal experience is that decent filters usually make quite a decent difference in overall performance.

G7RUX

After having used the Flamingo filter (in “barebones” form) with my VR5000 for a little while I got hold of the Flamingo+ which gives 70 dB attenuation in the middle of the stop compared to 30 dB or so, with a bit more loss at the low end of airband. The performance of this filter is really rather good and the noise floor in airband is down around where I would normally expect it to be.

The Nooelec gear is very good value and does a decent job without having to spend big money on the commercial kit.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
After having used the Flamingo filter (in “barebones” form) with my VR5000 for a little while I got hold of the Flamingo+ which gives 70 dB attenuation in the middle of the stop compared to 30 dB or so, with a bit more loss at the low end of airband. The performance of this filter is really rather good and the noise floor in airband is down around where I would normally expect it to be.

The Nooelec gear is very good value and does a decent job without having to spend big money on the commercial kit.

One of the biggest benefits to using these FM filters for Airband is that they lower the noise floor across the band. This usually will let you lower the squelch which leads to more hits and better scanning across the band.
This is especially useful for sensitive receivers.

G7RUX

One of the biggest benefits to using these FM filters for Airband is that they lower the noise floor across the band. This usually will let you lower the squelch which leads to more hits and better scanning across the band.
This is especially useful for sensitive receivers.
Absolutely so, I made this comment a few posts back.