Aor sr-2000a

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

Has anyone used a AOR SR-2000A? It sounds like a incredible piece of equipment. I am very curious about how it handles very weak signals in a FFT search. Can anyone give me some hands experience opinions?

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
The SR2000A is definitely not like the SDU5600 and is a very good receiver. While it is not perfect it certainly will change the way you look for active freqs in your area. I use the fft search for the 225-400 range and it works fantastic. You may miss a few weak transmissions but that is the nature of fft. It is the quickest way to search a wide swath of frequencies for action.
Watch this vid to see an SR2000A in action.
AOR AR-Alpha Review Problems & Faults #3 - YouTube

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I found it nearly impossible to dig out weak signals with the SDU5600. The sensitivity was only adjustable in 10db steps, which made it worse. I hope the SR2000A works better for the price. I was especially surprised to see its superior performance over the Alpha. AOR does weird things. I still find my AR5000A+3/RFSpace SDR-14 combo to be the best spectrum analysis combo.

10 MHz in .2 seconds is not very fast either. My experience with the SDU5600 automatically makes me shy away from this one as soon as I look at it. I'd need to have a lengthy hands on session prior to purchasing one...and then there's the little matter of the $2800....:D

zguy1243

The SR2000A is definitely not like the SDU5600 and is a very good receiver. While it is not perfect it certainly will change the way you look for active freqs in your area. I use the fft search for the 225-400 range and it works fantastic. You may miss a few weak transmissions but that is the nature of fft. It is the quickest way to search a wide swath of frequencies for action.
Watch this vid to see an SR2000A in action.
AOR AR-Alpha Review Problems & Faults #3 - YouTube

In what little is available online about the SR2000A I have read that you can set the FFT search to -99dbm as the weakest signal it will detect. I am wondering just how strong of a signal AOR's calibration is calling -99dbm? I guess my fear would be the need for a "S-9" signal to register with the FFT search. Not sure what one could relate it too but another receivers S meter. Any notable experience you have had with comparison weak signals that will register with the Sr2000's FFT as compared to another receivers common S meter reading? Range of interest would be the 225-400MHz range...

zguy1243

Jody, I had the SDU5600 for a while, which is the same idea minus the built-in receiver. It did a very poor job with weak signals. I returned it.

Scott,

Yeah I have never heard much good about the 5600. Seems like it was just a dud. The SR2000 just sounds to be super cool and it is seeming to get some great reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.