• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 6000 - Won't get a GPS lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What a dumpster fire that flashcode is. And yes, the very common expression is "whored out", so don't get so bent out of shape. Anyway, whoever hit that poor radio with Depot CPS had absolutely no clue what they were doing, it's a miracle the thing even powers up. šŸ˜µ

N4KVE

"whored out" ? Is that really necessary? Not all of us are wise to the all might flash code which is why we ask the questions we do. But the attitude isn't needed or welcome.
FOG
Itā€™s not meant to be disrespectful. Itā€™s a term coined 20 years ago when the previously mentioned Nick was selling new Astro Sabers, & XTS3000s that were built with new parts, & his famous 591008-4F1E00-9 FC. Features that were never meant to be in the same radio. Look at your FC. H869 Hardware Multikey Encryption, & Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption W/ OTAR in the same FC? Or H37 Smartnet, & H38 Smartzone in the same FC? Itā€™s one, or the other. Not both. Thatā€™s what we call a ā€œwhored out FCā€.

a417

Itā€™s not meant to be disrespectful. Itā€™s a term coined 20 years ago when the previously mentioned Nick was selling new Astro Sabers, & XTS3000s that were built with new parts, & his famous 591008-4F1E00-9 FC. Features that were never meant to be in the same radio. Look at your FC. H869 Hardware Multikey Encryption, & Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption W/ OTAR in the same FC? Or H37 Smartnet, & H38 Smartzone in the same FC? thatā€™s what we call a ā€œwhored out FCā€.
most recently discussed here.

"71uE" might be the new "4F1E"

crazyboy

"whored out" ? Is that really necessary? Not all of us are wise to the all might flash code which is why we ask the questions we do. But the attitude isn't needed or welcome.

Donā€™t know about flash codes but in another thread making posts about swapping VOCONS and taking XTLs to Uncle Bobs Depot. Riiight, nothing smells here.

mmckenna

I ā™„ Ƙ

It's not an 'attitude' and it's not directed at you personally. It's become a common industry term for these radios and you'll find it all over the internet if you belong to any of the professional radio guy boards. It's specifically aimed at these radios that have all the features turned on. No agency would order (or even need to order) a flash code like that. It stands out and people call it what it is. There's no hiding it. Embrace it.

Something positive, if you want:
You learned a new industry slang term. You got a loaded radio for probably way less than a new one. If you put it on a service monitor and it checks out clean, then you got yourself a good radio. Enjoy it.

N5FOG

A "whored out" flashcode has everything, usually things that are functionally impossible to implement. I am not sure how, or why, you feel this is some kind of personal attack towards you...but this phrase has been used in moto circles by techs for nearly two decades. Hammy folk using "FDNY emergency TX/RX" with "Smartzone Omnilink MultiZone" and "Fireground accountability" stuff is a pretty big clue.

"I d0nT kn0w wAT thyS iz BuT mY aPX hAZ tEw HaVE iT!"

My goodness. Good luck!

I guess you missed my point as a whole. Instead of just saying "When some of us see whored out flashcodes and uselessly incompatible featuresets forced into a radio, combined with impossible dates, we know what it means" Why didn't you just say here is what tells us there is a issue and lay it out instead of saying "we know what it means"?

I didn't even come here to ask about my flashcode or if it had been tinkered with by the "depot" software.

I just wanted to talk about troubleshooting the GPS and the possible issues with it.
Donā€™t know about flash codes but in another thread making posts about swapping VOCONS and taking XTLs to Uncle Bobs Depot. Riiight, nothing smells here.

Good lord, I come here to ask about troubleshooting a GPS issue and yall want to tell me my radio is "whored out".

As far as the XTL, yea I had one with a bad VOCON and had someone walk me through how to mate it to the radio with the depot after I swapped it out.

Did I hit a brand new out of the box radio with depot, hell no.

Here is where I got it from. I know several others who got a radio and were very happy.

When you read the radio it says it was created with CPS and has the I-Button information on it. I've seen a few that have been tinkered with and they all had the classic "born at the depot on XX/XX/XXXX.

If you are smelling something, you might wanna use soap when you shower.

This whole thread reminds me why I stopped asking technical questions on forums like this and QRZ. You end up with the whole excrement storm you have here.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
I guess you missed my point as a whole. Instead of just saying "When some of us see whored out flashcodes and uselessly incompatible featuresets forced into a radio, combined with impossible dates, we know what it means" Why didn't you just say here is what tells us there is a issue and lay it out instead of saying "we know what it means"?

I didn't even come here to ask about my flashcode or if it had been tinkered with by the "depot" software.

I just wanted to talk about troubleshooting the GPS and the possible issues with it.

Good lord, I come here to ask about troubleshooting a GPS issue and yall want to tell me my radio is "whored out".

As far as the XTL, yea I had one with a bad VOCON and had someone walk me through how to mate it to the radio with the depot after I swapped it out.

Did I hit a brand new out of the box radio with depot, hell no.

Here is where I got it from. I know several others who got a radio and were very happy.

When you read the radio it says it was created with CPS and has the I-Button information on it. I've seen a few that have been tinkered with and they all had the classic "born at the depot on XX/XX/XXXX.

If you are smelling something, you might wanna use soap when you shower.

This whole thread reminds me why I stopped asking technical questions on forums like this and QRZ. You end up with the whole excrement storm you have here.
One of the China radios? I'd wager that's at least part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.