APX5000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanwis99

Hi, has anyone had success with portable programming? I have a Motorola APX5000 and trying to get WISCOM programmed in. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
XTS5000? It might be a little tough as its a EFJ system and if programmed wrong could cause issues the System admn watches the system very closely

WQJQ863

Can't Follow Simple Instructions
Banned
Hi, has anyone had success with portable programming? I have a Motorola APX5000 and trying to get WISCOM programmed in. I'd appreciate any advice anyone has!

I wouldnt even attempt to use any commercial radio on the system your just begging to get caught and in legal trouble you need to use a scanner so dont try hacking it with a commercial radio I hope you get caught

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Oh and by the way... The WISCOM system admin does read post related to his system on this site...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking trying to program a commercial radio to receive and receive only a trunked system is more of a technical challenge than a legal one. In such cases radios are not programmed to affiliate with the system, thus cannot transmit on the system which is the legal issue. Of course a guy might have to "defend" himself if challenged by law enforcement as to whether the radio isn't transmitting, probably similar to any other scanner possession situation.

Trying to affiliate the radio to the same if the system isn't expecting to see the radio, usually leads to a "kill" message being sent to the radio. It's not unlike a bee hive where guard bees attack foreign bees. This feature is in place for security purposes.

There are some Youtube videos out there on how folks have programmed radios to receive and only receive trunked systems. Typically the radio has to be flashed/re-flashed to have the same parameters as the system. Then a system key has to be generated with a specific piece of software, which is hard to come by. Finally the actual programming itself via CPS.

Best thing to do is look at the Youtube videos.

scanwis99

Of course a guy might have to "defend" himself if challenged by law enforcement as to whether the radio isn't transmitting, probably similar to any other scanner possession situation.

Then a system key has to be generated with a specific piece of software, which is hard to come by. Finally the actual programming itself via CPS.

Best thing to do is look at the Youtube videos.

In order to affiliate with the system, would my 5000 actually have to transmit/receive packets?

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Sorry for such basic questions! Just didn't know if anyone else had success...

sfd119

Yes, if you are affiliating you are transmitting and receiving packets. Do not attempt this if you are asking simple questions.

If you want to listen to WISCOM, get a scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got an XTS3000 programmed to monitor only our local TRS. The way I understand how its programmed is that it is actually "On" a conventional radio system (as System 1) but is monitoring/scanning the trunked radio system (as System 2). As such there is no affiliation to the TRS/System 2 and thus not transmitting data.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is wisdom in using a scanner versus a "regular" radio. Beside the many ways things can go wrong with using a radio, biggest of which is trying to affiliate on the system only to be sent a "kill" signal, which in turn means the radio has to be re-flashed.

With a radio, you are limited on the number of talkgroups it will scan, 12 I believe.

The only reason why I'm using an XTS3000 is that we have a simulcast system and I get a lot of distortion because I'm between 3 sites. The scanner is okay, but the radio is better.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Beside the many ways things can go wrong with using a radio, biggest of which is trying to affiliate on the system only to be sent a "kill" signal, which in turn means the radio has to be re-flashed.

A better term would be uninhibited. They don't really flash anything.

With a radio, you are limited on the number of talkgroups it will scan, 12 I believe.

On an APX it's typically 50 talkgroups per system with up to 5 systems.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Like I said.. I personally know the system admin for Wiscomm... People who have had illegal/improperly programmed radios have gotten visits from WSP..If you do not know what you are doing.. Dont..

kb0uxv

If you incorrectly refer to a XTS5000 as an APX5000, and the nature of the question, it leads the reader to assume you do not have much experience with Moto gear, CPS, and trunking systems. It is a complicated piece of software with many interconnected settings, if you follow the suggestions to watch a youtube video of the non affiliation method and screw up, your cloned ID will place the real radio user with the ID you copied in harms way. Hacking a system key may result in a criminal charge for illegal access to a computer system. Think of it this way, having a scanner is like looking in a window of a secured building from the sidewalk. No harm no foul. Having the system key is like subvertly copying a key to the building's door. Programing the radio with the hacked key is like going inside and looking around (trespassing or burglary at this point). Screwing up the programming and affiliating is like going inside with your key and hitting the employee inside with a club. Don't hurt the blameless employee inside, just use a scanner. Furthermore XTS5000 would be limited in scan list members, 16 or 10 depending on how you do it, and if you travel a lot you will have a complicated file with many scan lists to move sites. Many enthusiasts will comment that the advantage of the Moto radio is simulcast performance, but your target system is multicast.

sfd119

I can confirm the G5 works great on WISCOM if you are in a good signal area.

Status
Not open for further replies.