• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 Low Battery Level

Spankymedic7

Hello to all,

My APX7000's low battery alert is being triggered at 40%. I thought there was a way to change this to a lower percentage level in the CPS, but I am unable to find it. The only thing that I'm able to find is the "Smart Low Battery Alert" which was set at "Early Warning", which I've set to 'Standard'. I looked in the "Radio Ergonomics" to no avail. Would anyone be able to nudge me in the right direction?

I'm using CPS 27.00.01.

Thank you in advance.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
This is what it says for that smart lo batt alert
Standard 10% battery power left.
Early Warning 15% battery power left.
if it's flashing battery symbol far out of whack, have you tried put battery into a recondition cycle?

Spankymedic7

if it's flashing battery symbol far out of whack, have you tried put battery into a recondition cycle?
Yeah I just did the recondition cycle a few days ago. There has to be a way for me to change the low battery alert setting...

Spankymedic7

I put it through another recondition cycle, so we'll see what happens in a little bit. Right now it's at 45%...

MITTYCPD

Premium Subscriber
I'm noticing a number of my batteries exhibiting the same thing. They will start beeping around 40% then just go dead. All have been reconditioned but are about 5-6 years old under 200 charges.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
op is the new battery still wrong? does happen with every battery, is the radio firmware old, i maybe recall updates for battery fuel gauge some batteries

Last edited:

K2NEC

of course the /\/\onoply on alot of radios wants that.... My batteries are atleast 6 years old, with 270+ charges
You probably take good care of your batteries though and don't put it through harsh conditions like in public safety. I can't even tell you how many times ive seen people skip the reconditioning because they need a quick charge up. Lets say this, if someone in public safety is working Pittman schedule, after 3 years is roughly 500 charges. That's plenty to get out of a battery. If it's something like FD where the battery is constantly charged and pulled when needed, that wears the battery life down too. So 3 years on a regular daily use is pretty fair. Battery life is no joke. On a foot pursuit is a bad time to find out your radio battery is shot. Moto plays it safe.

Also, just because the service life is good doesn't mean the cells inside are. I've had batteries at 98% service life go dead after a transmission.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
5 years is way past any device's recommended battery replacement cycle. Even if they are taken care of, LiON cells do not age like old NiCD and NiMH. Their performance starts to sag considerably after 3 or more years of use. Any device in IDLH or life safety service should have a battery no more than 3 years old. For hobby/ham gas bagging who cares, but if one's life depends on the device to work, is it really worth the chance?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I thought Kenwood/Harris/Icom/RELM/pretty much everyone else had batteries that were guaranteed for 10+ years?

But seriously, I do have my original battery from my first APX. It’s 12+ years old now and around 80%.

Spankymedic7

op is the new battery still wrong? does happen with every battery, is the radio firmware old, i maybe recall updates for battery fuel gauge some batteries
The new battery continues to trigger the alarm at 40%. I tried another battery which did function as expected. So, I will be exchanging this battery with a new one. That being said, I could swear that I saw a feature on CPS (unknown if APX or not) where you could change the level at which the low battery alarm is triggered. Oh well, I guess a new battery is in my future.

Thank you for your help!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That being said, I could swear that I saw a feature on CPS (unknown if APX or not) where you could change the level at which the low battery alarm is triggered.
Answered in post #2. You can select between 10% (standard) or 15% (early warning), that's it. It is not customizable beyond those two choices.