AR3000 Software

k2gtm

Premium Subscriber
Hello all!

I have an old AOR AR3000 that works well, but I would like to connect it to my PC. I can't find much online - the AR3000 wiki page (and most of the web) has a bunch of dead links, and AOR says that they don't offer the AOR Searchlight software anymore. Does anyone know where I can download some software to try? I would prefer freeware.

Thanks!
- Greg

dragon48

Hello all!

I have an old AOR AR3000 that works well, but I would like to connect it to my PC. I can't find much online - the AR3000 wiki page (and most of the web) has a bunch of dead links, and AOR says that they don't offer the AOR Searchlight software anymore. Does anyone know where I can download some software to try? I would prefer freeware.

Thanks!
- Greg

I'm scrolling through this forum and maybe I can be of help. I had the same problem which I solved three months after your first post. My AOR 3000a had been a brick for a long time as the frequency dial is broken and some of the number pads don't work. Take a look at my solution in the last entry of this thread I started:

A few things to note: With my Windows 10 laptop, I'm reasonably sure I didn't take step 2 and step 3. I did take them with my older Surface 4 Pro but am not sure whether they were necessary. After you connect the USB Serial Port Adaptor, just go to device manager and expand ports (COM & LPT). Windows may have already created the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port and assigned a number. If so, just match the port number and Baud settings in Putty. After one of my reboots Windows changed the Port number, but it's always pretty simple to go back to device manager and find the new assignment. You may have to change the Baud settings to get the communication to work. Regarding the second to last post in the thread, the Visual Radio Demo software was functional but buggy.

My solution works for me. I don't use my AOR 3000a to scan or have a need for any saved memory banks. I just set frequencies and modes. If that is all you need, then go for it. If you are looking for more functionality, good luck.

Write back if you try my setup and have any problems. I should be able to get it working.

G8OEO

I’ve been playing around for quite a while with a VB.NET program for controlling both the 3000a and the 8600 receivers.
It’s a bit flaky, and in parts incomplete, but if anyone wants to give it a try and maybe tell me about all of it’s faults I’m happy with that :)

AOR-262

@G8OEO

I wrote simple programming software to program the AOR 8000 and 8600 Mk2. It's written using basic 'BASIC' to run on an old 8-bit machine - works but would like to make it run on a Windows PC. I'd be interested to look at how you've written the code for Visual Basic.

dragon48

I'd be interested in using it with my AOR 8200 MK3 if it supports that model. Any idea where I can pick up the proper programming cable? I remember checking years ago and it was expensive. I'd rather not have to pay a lot for it.

G8OEO

Sorry I've never owned any of the the 8200 radios, but looking at the commands list you might be able to get by with the AR8600 option.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I agree the serial cable doesn't look cheap. Maybe someone else who has the radio can help.

dragon48

Sorry I've never owned any of the the 8200 radios, but looking at the commands list you might be able to get by with the AR8600 option.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I agree the serial cable doesn't look cheap. Maybe someone else who has the radio can help.
Ty - I just emailed AOR USA asking if they sell it, or if not, who they can recommend.

dragon48

I'm abandoning this endeavor. AOR USA got back to me with a list of dealers for the AOR CC8200A cable that my S/N needs.

The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source has it for $126.95!

Ham Radio Outlet has it "discounted" at $119.95!

There were some other contacts on their dealer page, (DEALERS | AOR U.S.A., INC. Authority On Radio Communications) but I'm not holding my breath for a much better deal. Nobody on Ebay is selling it.

The USB to RS232 adapter that I use to control my AOR 3000a was a mere $11.95, and I'm very happy using the basic terminal commands to control the radio. I thought it would be fun to do the same with the handheld, but I'm not spending near that kind of money for something nonessential.

@AOR-262 - Appreciate your offer, but I'm happy with the simple terminal commands I use for my AOR 3000a.

Last edited:

dragon48

@dragon48

$126.95 for a cable? I mean ... wtf? I can make that cable exactly for less than a Big Mac meal!

I'm almost wondering whether there is something generic that will fit and work, but right now, I don't care enough to investigate. That price is indeed absurd, considering my SDR with a dipole antenna kit only cost $29.95!

AOR-262

@dragon48

It's a simple as this ... that is if you have a basic understanding of circuit boards and electronics. Watch the video I made for the programming cable for the AOR 8000 ...

dragon48

@dragon48

It's a simple as this ... that is if you have a basic understanding of circuit boards and electronics. Watch the video I made for the programming cable for the AOR 8000 ...

I do have most of the skills for this but would hire somebody for the precise drilling required. My AOR 8200 MK111 already has an option socket, but I have no idea what the input specs are. What the heck does fit in that option port under the power input? Is it possible to just get a generic cable to fit in it and get the other end into a USB port for the control? Or, maybe have to take additional steps to send the USB output to an RS232 Cable, then back to a USB male, then to a USB port? I strongly suspect no but had to inquire. I'm also thinking that because there are two different official, expensive cables for the AOR 8200 depending on the Blocked/Unblocked status and S/N, that this those cables have chips in them that would render my idea useless.

morfis

I do have most of the skills for this but would hire somebody for the precise drilling required. My AOR 8200 MK111 already has an option socket, but I have no idea what the input specs are. What the heck does fit in that option port under the power input? Is it possible to just get a generic cable to fit in it and get the other end into a USB port for the control? Or, maybe have to take additional steps to send the USB output to an RS232 Cable, then back to a USB male, then to a USB port? I strongly suspect no but had to inquire. I'm also thinking that because there are two different official, expensive cables for the AOR 8200 depending on the Blocked/Unblocked status and S/N, that this those cables have chips in them that would render my idea useless.

The original 8200 and the series 2 used an odd plug for the computer interface. The same plug was used by some HP Journada models so cables from those could be used with some butchery. Usage of the non-standard style connector is what now causes the problem...very few devices use it so no-one manufacturers it any more.
The series 3 initially used that same connector but later produced ones used a more standard type.
There is no 'chip' in any of the cables and there is no difference between USA blocked model cables and standard full range cables (the blocking was in the internals as required by your odd cellphone restriction laws at the time).
The cables come in two types
In terms of PC control for the 8200. The 8600 is essentially a desktop 8200 (better, replaceable filters, better component shielding and the like) so software designed for those will usually work with either unless the author includes model firmware checks so they can improve the gouge.

It is possible to solder directly to the internals of the connector but it's a real faff. When you take into account the value of your own time it's not really any cheaper than buying a cable. In my case the cable would be considerably cheaper than my time.

You could try searching the wayback machine to see if the old ar8200.net website was archived - that had full details of cables, pinouts, colour differences between AOR and HP cables, serial numbers for changes to the radios (such as modified shielding, change to pinouts, change to plug type). It also contained equivalent info for the 8600 and links to all known software for each and examples of excel control scripts to make frequency storage 'unlimited'.

tonton69

Tres bon site avec differents programmes radios et decodage, egalement AR3000 et AR 8600