ARC996T beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueline_308

I just don't see what the big deal over this is...It does what the Uniden SW does, just layed out a lil different. The virtual control interface is nicer...but thats about it. I'm gonna do without it. Jusy my .02...not meant to start a war.

Jim

Last edited:

STiMULi

PUHLEASE!!!

Can you import (simply) with the UASD?

Does UASD give you maps?

SO much more I won't waste my time writing about it.

Read the pdf you'll see :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
The GUI is much better on ARC996. Plus, you can open multiple systems which makes cut and paste much easier. I think the application is just much more intuitive and of course you can import CSV and MEM files from other programs.

Gary

swwesq

Butel, Please Please Please

Release a beta soon for the bct-15. I pre-purchased your deluxe version, but I am dying to start using something besides the Uniden software.

STiMULi

Blueline, I thought you didn't see a what the big deal was about ARC? Did you end up finding it more useful thank you originally thought? :)

ANYWAYS...

I am inclined to agree that this site would be a good place to bug list the ARC996 since the Gommert originated Yahoogroup requires posting approval for every post and theat since he has started his vacation no one can see what others have found.

Maybe a wiki would be better?

blueline_308

Well, since you asked...isn't it ironic that a day or so after you tthought it was the cat's meow, that you ask where to send bug reports...I got a good chuckle out of that one. To answer you, after taking your advice on reading the manual, yes I have seen more usefulness...hell I even bought it. Ill start the bug list:

When in virtual control, if you use your scroll wheel on your mouse, it creates an error and you must shut the proggy down. I am using a Razer gaming mouse with its own drivers.

Out,
BL

STiMULi

I have been a beta tester on a number of projects that were always fantastic in concept and eventually with good input, good product management and an experienced programmer they become either the roots of great software/hardware or great in their own right.

CUCME
HB232
VADER (anyone remember this one?)
Early MS window products
Tons of communications hardware...

It is a beta. Most betas come from the developer broke. This one is broke. It has a TON of issues with it.

However even in it's current state it whips UASD all over the place.

I have learned a few things NOT to do. One is what you mentioned about the mouse. Another is it close VM before doing some heavy edits or you might lose your work. I have learned a few things TO do. One is to click above the tab area to display additional information. I have found at least 20 bugs or features that need adjusting.

I think if we are going to do it right a new thread should be started in the General Scanning forum so that new users do not think this is representative of the UNIDEN product.

garys

Premium Subscriber
STiMULi said:
I have learned a few things TO do. One is to click above the tab area to display additional information. I have found at least 20 bugs or features that need adjusting.

Waht do you mean by click above the tab area? I've found a few bugs, one of which is that apparently, once you create a trunk site, you can't delete frequencies. I tried several times and finally ended up deleting the site and starting over again.

Someone should start a thread in the Software Forum. We can share bug reports.

I agree, this is much better software than UASD. I'll repeat my comment that Uniden should just contract with Butel for the software.

Gary

rfaricy

The only thing that UASD has over Butel, is speed when uploading/downloading. UASD is about 15-20% faster in data transfer than ARC996. But the wait is worth it to me, though if I need to change a bunch of settings quickly, I'll just use UASD to download, change, upload. Otherwise, for major "design", always ARC996.

As far as bugs/annoyances I've found so far:
- "send selected systems" doesn't differentiate between CONV/P25 ...
just matches based on name, will over-write incorrect systems, whichever appear first
with same name.

- editing sites sometimes causes sites in other systems to become corrupted/changed

- too many menus in context menu. group some things together!

- make copy and paste contextual, as in: user right clicks an object...
... shouldnt have to pick "copy site" or "copy system" or "copy group" ...
... should just be able to pick "copy" and ARC996 knows the type of object selected, and will paste accordingly in the new location.

- more intuitive drag and drop! it doesn't do anything apparently right now. and on that note, allow all child items of a parent to be dragged with it (as opposed to the parent only). and allow for a copy-drag when holding down CTRL or something.

STiMULi

Since we are here...

• Comm settings sometimes will not load or loads very slowly
  • Initial display on opening a group does not show group name, lockout and Qkey
  • Channel comments to short should be MUCH larger.
  • Comment info spaces are removed.
  • & character not handled properly when translated from comments field.
  • Virtual control window will not expand. Will not display (Log) all fields.
  • Logging window will not sort.
  • When operating in ID search mode LTR talkgroups are not translated to known groups (Motorola is).
  • History logging should have the choice to exclude display of some fields.
  • Systems do not show lockout status when entire system is locked out.
  • For some unknown reason saving systems fails and a million OKs must be pressed or a forced close is required.
  • Intermittently while using the Virtual control and then closing, ARC sees the Comm port as "in use" by another program. Sometimes closing program will not restore service to the comm port and a reboot is required.
  • Last profile used is not saved for next time ARC is opened (always opens on new profile)
  • Sites and systems section disappears when Configuration editor is chosen yet whe returning to Systems editor the Configuration screen is retained to the right of the Sites and systems section.
  • Find duplicate does not exclude tones (when duplicate exists but tone is different it should be not considered as a duplicate)

More to come :)

Last edited:

STiMULi

garys said:
Waht do you mean by click above the tab area?

When you open a group it always seems to start with "off on" at the top of the tabbed area. If I click above the tabbed area I get the System name editor, Qkey and Lockout choices as well as the new group Icon.

STiMULi

10 groups automatically created when a new conventional system is created. Many times I will only add one group to a System due to the GPS functionality. Too many steps to remove the other 9 unneeded groups.

RISC777

Go-24 said:
I have to agree, $30 extra for logging/recording seems to be a bit much. I paid it for my 396, and I paid it for my 246, both work great but I won't be paying it for my 996 or my 15. I expect other programs to become available for those soon, most of which will be free or by donation ;)

The recording feature may make it worth the difference in cost to some.

RISC777

STiMULi said:
Since we are here...

* For some unknown reason saving systems fails and a million OKs must be pressed or a forced close is required.

S,

I've not had this one ever happen to me.

Perhaps indicative that some 'bugs' possibly may be computer system/user specific(?).

`Doug

STiMULi

To me the record feature may have a bug in it as well. I am doing research on the protocol to see if there is a way around it but here it is...

When record is turned on and the computer is hooked up to the Record output of the scanner ARC will recored all intercepts whether or not you have record selected in the channel programming. This means that the audio will not be output on those channels not selected for record in the programming of that channel and ARC therefore records silence from intercepts without the Record function turned on.

To me ARC should only record intercepts on those channels that are designated as record on.

This may not be possible. If this is true it defeats some of the usefulness of the record feature.

I had planned on logging all intercepts but only actually recording a few select intercepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.