• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are CB Radio's fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd4mqd

Wd4mqd

This thread is a bit old, but still living as two posts today gives witness.

I had obtained my CB license (when it was required) back in the early 70's and most of the Rescue Squads and Volunteer services in central and east Alabama were using CB for their communications (weren't funded by taxes, etc and even CB's then were expensive). I still have my CB license (KXZ0860) on file as a keepsake. I took my test for General license in amateur radio at Ramstein AFB in Germany in Sept 1977 (passed but due to an injury could only copy CW at 5 gpm to I got Technician) and have been a HAM ever since. Had the call sign above (in my title) and switched to N3FUB while in Washington D.C. for 12 years. Upon returning home to Alabama, I reapplied for my old callsign. So much for background and history.

Citizens Band can and does provide a good starting point for someone interested in communications for the hobby, the fun and building radio discipline. In my current mode, I have a CB with WX (weather), a HTX-202, 2 meter hand held transceiver, and a dual band 2 meter/70cm (144Mhz and 440Mhz) transceiver, and a Bearcat 200X scanner in my vehicle. When offered the chance, I perform SKYWARN operations mobile and at home. The CB provides immediate weather updates and local radio traffic on conditions I can't get elsewhere.

It comes down to a personal choice. To reference an earlier response, there's always the on/off switch, squelch, or channel knob to take you elsewhere (or give your ears peace). Personally, I enjoy all forms of electronic communication, so a CB is right at home along side my HAM radios, GMRS radios, and scanners. Total investment monetarily is less than $500.00 (including licensing fees). So, have at it!

Use the CB for immediate local traffic reports or as we called it back then, rachet-jaw, if you enjoy it and want to move into different modes (Continuous Wave [morse code], fast scan or slow scan TV, packet, or other types), study, take the test and become a HAM, there are rewards in each.

Look around for some specials, (I got my CB at a clearance sell at Radio Shack for $39.00), visit a local HAM/Computer Fest. Ours in Montgomery, AL is usually combined with the local Radio Control Aircraft show. Make an educated decision based on what you're doing here, ask.

I apologize for my prolific rote, it's a product of Alabama education. :eek:)

Good Luck and 73's,
Bill

SCPD

QRT
CB was fun when the "Bandit" was talking to Jerry Reed in the 18 wheeler. Just you watch out for Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

Look folks, the CB craze was at its height around 1977-1978. Around these parts, I was known as the "Red Raider" because I was a fan of the "Big Red Machine" Cincinnatti Reds clubs of that era, even though I lived in "Dodger Country." Sorry, I preferred Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Johnny Bench over Steve Garvey, Davey Lopes and Dusty Baker.

I don't think 27 MHz will ever take off like it did in the mid-1970s, but who can predict anything in this crazy country of ours. Just a few years ago the mesh trucker hats of that era made a big comeback with the teens and twentysomethings, even though I thought the mesh hats were ugly as hell.

CB is still part of the "Personal Radio" category the FCC recognizes, along with FRS, GMRS and MURS, so if CB floats your boat, have at it! Maybe you can still find a "Madame" broadcasting near one of the truck stops, although from what I've read in the paper you're likely to have better luck going onto craigslist.:D

Dave
KA6TJF

Last edited:

roadranger

Sounds like...

Quote:"Amateur radio, requiring a bit more initial investment than CB even when purchasing used equipment, tends to bill itself as being a "gentleman's" form of communications with people being more "polite" than those of CBers. Most of the people on the amateur bands I've heard and spoken to are polite and make every attempt to be of assistance whenever possible. However, due in part to the requirement of a license being required many - though not all - amateurs tend to be snobby regarding CB which is unwarranted as an amateur radio licensce does not in any way give the holder in any way shape or form the right to look down on those who do not hold an amateur license. "

Ever try to talk to one of the established groups on 80m or 20m? No new members need apply.......
Polite NOT!

Charles
KV4DX

...Some of those guys down around 14.275 (extras)

Ensnared

If I am not mistaken, per a Monitoring Times article, someone was recently busted for selling goods and services on a CB. I believe they were fined. CB transmissions tend to go south when you are near a major city or large truck stop. It is really annoying. Sometimes, you might hear someone preaching from some of the Bible belt states. This always sickens me. In the past, I have managed to move beyond these troglodytes. If I lived near someone talking at length about the sins of mankind, I might have to attach 110 to the coax if found. Of course, I am just joking.

reedeb

CB is still part of the "Personal Radio" category the FCC recognizes, along with FRS, GMRS and MURS, so if CB floats your boat, have at it! Maybe you can still find a "Madame" broadcasting near one of the truck stops, although from what I've read in the paper you're likely to have better luck going onto craigslist.:D

Dave
KA6TJF

AKA Lot Lizard [LOL] We hgad one up in NH that would broadcast to truckers looking for a good time. One night a cop was sitting next to me and heard her and where she was gonna meet him [in his sector also], and went up there and busted them. He picked up a small Cb and kept it in his cruiser and would listen or her and would catch her at least FIVE more times. Some will never learn.

fischlerpromo

CB radio can be fun. Back when ham radio got to be a hassle for me, to many people arguing about what is right and wrong, I sold all my equipment except for a ht. Got a Uniden President Washington SSB base. Made a ton of friends. Belonged to a couple of SSB clubs. We spent the time DX'ing and just chatting about life. Would probably been on 10m SSB, but the band was dead. Got a SSB mobile for the car to keep in touch with my friends. Still have the mobile, sold the base (no where to erect a decent antenna at the home QTH). Occassionally, listen to the truckers making comments about how bad the 4 wheel drivers are, while the drivers are going 15 to 20 mph over the speed limit. OOOppss, got off topic;) My vote is for a SSB unit that is more versatile than the generic AM CB's are.
Larry
That's how it was for me in the late 70's early 80's here in Los Angeles.
Belonged to one club, The SOB.... Sidebanders of Burbank.

A lot of people used their harm radios from home like Yeasu, (sp OK?.) I heard that name mentioned alot.

With a locked clairifier and the chip fixed we had our own freq. up in an unallocated freq. area.
Having a fixed clairifier on your mobile unit is the only way to go, you can just go between freqs. and get some piece and quiet..especially on those upper SB freqs.

Ppl were more polite on the SB frequencies and that original poster that was going to by a hand held CB radio is dreaming if he thinks he will be heard.

Last edited:

Ensnared

During the 1980's, I installed my CB once again. I've never looked back. My electronic arsenal, Beltronics Vector 995, Cobra Classic 25, & digital scanner are very helpful to me.

These days, I don't speed like I used to do. No, buddy. The economy is ripe for little tolerance on speeding. I get amused when others say, "if you don't speed you won't get a ticket."

Typically, I counter with a very sarcastic remark, "you mean it is against the law to exceed the speed limit. Wife, did you hear this?" Sometimes, people state the obvious and it really annoys me.

The CB is also a great source of entertainment. If you happen to stumble on an argument on the radio, you can make things a lot worse by making inflamatory comments. You can vent your feelings without the danger of being discovered. You can also insult police officers who fake being an operator.

I remember a time when I was driving west of San Antonio on IH10 near Junction, Texas. I heard someone come back to a request for a bear report. He said, "it is clear, put the hammer down"; however, he failed to realize that his police radio was heard in the background. So, I called him on it and exposed his feigned behavior. He did not like that.

But, there have been times when my electronic arsenal has not helped one bit. You see, the command module on my shoulders has been disengaged on several occasions. At times, I have gone through known speed traps with advanced knowledge and failed to control my speed. This once happened on the way to work when I was attempting to wake up. On another occasion while driving through Arkansas, I could no longer wait on the person driving like a snail on Librium. I passed knowing that there was a copper waiting ahread. I learned my lesson then. It was quite expensive.

These days, truckers are my friends, for the most part. They frequently rib me about my array of antennas on such a small automobile, a Nissan Versa. I tell them it is a radio-controlled vehicle. But, they have helped me get around traffic jams on a frequent basis.

So, I love my CB.

MeddleMan

Yes, ScannerSky, CB is fun!

Hey all,

I was thinking of getting myself a handheld CB radio. Is it fun to talk/use them? So many people use them so I was wondering...it may be good to have in a car when traveling or just for fun...any ideas?

Just be sure that you buy a CB handheld that you can plug into a cigarette lighter. Doesn't matter if new or old, designed for occasional emergency use (built into a closeable case) or if you can find a three channel (w/ ch19) walkie talkie. So long as you can plug it into a Magmount antenna on top of your car. It may be hard to compete with the Children's Banders, but it can be a hoot. Parental Guidence sugguested. I bought a newer handheld that when you remove one of the two provided battery containers, you can slide on the adaptor, overriding the antenna on top, plgs into the cig. lighter, and outside antenna. Two Hundred watts is optional. For Me, anyway.

roadranger

I like this guy's idea!

If you have friends or relatives that you can chat with, it might be fun. But for the most part the truckers talk so nasty on there it isn't family friendly.

It is partly how I got started. My older cousins had barefoot radios and we played that way until we got into Ham Radio. Still talk to each other once in a while.

roadranger

Listening in...

AKA Lot Lizard [LOL] We hgad one up in NH that would broadcast to truckers looking for a good time. One night a cop was sitting next to me and heard her and where she was gonna meet him [in his sector also], and went up there and busted them. He picked up a small Cb and kept it in his cruiser and would listen or her and would catch her at least FIVE more times. Some will never learn.

Very good story!

TheJerk

I wouldn't be without one...I have pretty unimpressive setups (Uniden Grant/Wilson 5000 and Galaxy DX959/102 whip), use them daily.

They have saved me numerous/countless hours in traffic jams, not to mention that sudden stop in traffic for no reason. They also allow me a higher margin of safety by knowing where emergency vehicles and break downs are along the road. They are also a way to pass time chatting, even just listening...I choose to participate, letting others know about hazards, etc.

We are not all the jerks like we are made out to be, some of us are college-educated professionals getting from point A to point B. While there are bad apples that cause trouble, it is no different than some license-holding hams I have heard (I listen with my scanner). Most of us are just along for the ride.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wouldn't be without one...I have pretty unimpressive setups (Uniden Grant/Wilson 5000 and Galaxy DX959/102 whip), use them daily.

They have saved me numerous/countless hours in traffic jams, not to mention that sudden stop in traffic for no reason. They also allow me a higher margin of safety by knowing where emergency vehicles and break downs are along the road. They are also a way to pass time chatting, even just listening...I choose to participate, letting others know about hazards, etc.

We are not all the jerks like we are made out to be, some of us are college-educated professionals getting from point A to point B. While there are bad apples that cause trouble, it is no different than some license-holding hams I have heard (I listen with my scanner). Most of us are just along for the ride.

Yes your right,I was up North and I had My CB and UHF/VHF Ham Radio with me for the ride (10 hours of straight driving from East to North split with me and my Son )The CB Radio was the best out of the two for Traffic and detour and accidents.The Truckers were very polite and friendly and very very professional.
I did not pick up one Ham on the way up or down.I shouldn't say I didn't pick one Ham up,the one I did pick up was very unprofessional and does not merit a comment.

VA3EHF

Banned
Banned
Everybody has an opinion. My opinion is no, they are not fun. They are annoying. Lots of noise, people talking over each other, people running illegal power and jerks who think they own the airwaves. Good luck!

i am a local cb radio operator and effective immediately if i hear any local cb radio operator using obscene and profane language will be suspended .

Depends

Hey all,

I was thinking of getting myself a handheld CB radio. Is it fun to talk/use them? So many people use them so I was wondering...it may be good to have in a car when traveling or just for fun...any ideas?

It all depends on what your specific use is for it. If it is just for local than I can say it can be a pain in the butt. But on the other hand if you do a lot of interstate commute it can be helpful. It all basically depends. As far as noise and other things of that sort there are things on the radio such as squelch that can block out most of the radio noise.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey all,

Tons of Fun.

TheSpaceMan

Hey all,

They can be loads of fun. Been messing around with them since the '60s! You can get a lot of pretty nice old CB walkie talkies on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.