Armer setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason_58201

Basic firmware updates don't cost anything. If you want to upgrade the scanner for ProVoice/NXDN/DMR that does have a cost. If all you monitor is ARMER, you won't require any of those upgrades.

You weren't wrong to get a different scanner. The 396 has certain limitations on memory and trying to program the entire ARMER system will exceed those limits.

Sentinel cannot be accused of being "robust software". I don't think Uniden minds that either as they are a hardware manufacturer and "down and dirty" software is needed to get the product going. However, ProScan or Butel are software developers and their whole life is creating "robust software".

jason_58201

One of the things I liked about Freescan was EZGrab. I could take spreadsheets of freq's that weren't identified yet and ezgrab them into freescan and upload them to my 396. Obviously I can't do this with the 436 because freescan isn't compatible with it. does sentinel, proscan, or arc have something similar for the 436? If they do I'm not finding it.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If your going to make favorites, have found proscan works awesome. BUT, you need a subscription on RR. Was always using the zip code location and distance for st cloud area. Since using proscan, making favorites is a breeze. I did have a 436 and worked fairly well around st cloud. Sold it to fund a Icom R30. Some days I regret selling it. Did have the 396T prior to the 436. Good radio if you don't mind hand programming. The 436 should serve you well up there.

jason_58201

If your going to make favorites, have found proscan works awesome. BUT, you need a subscription on RR. Was always using the zip code location and distance for st cloud area. Since using proscan, making favorites is a breeze. I did have a 436 and worked fairly well around st cloud. Sold it to fund a Icom R30. Some days I regret selling it. Did have the 396T prior to the 436. Good radio if you don't mind hand programming. The 436 should serve you well up there.
I've primarily used freescan for my 396xt and played around with proscan a little bit. But finding that neither proscan or sentinel are a one size fits all to programming. they both have their good points and bad points. the 436 isn't really doing anything that my 396xt can't do...yet...maybe next month i'll buy the upgrades but they aren't needed for right now for what I monitor. I haven't hand prgrammed a scanner since my pro-93 18 years ago.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
But finding that neither proscan or sentinel are a one size fits all to programming. they both have their good points and bad points.
We try to make ProScan one size fits all. If you don't mind me asking. What is the bad points with ProScan? So we can improve it if needed.

One of the things I liked about Freescan was EZGrab. I could take spreadsheets of freq's that weren't identified yet and ezgrab them into freescan and upload them to my 396. Obviously I can't do this with the 436 because freescan isn't compatible with it. does sentinel, proscan, or arc have something similar for the 436? If they do I'm not finding it.
ProScan has a 'Get Clipboard' function. I believe it's more powerful then the 'EZGrag' in Freescan.

{edit} This image shows the 'Get Clipboard' location. It's enabled at the Department or Site level.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

stmills

The 396T had an issue with the original speaker blowing. When the speaker on mine blew the speakers were on perpetual back order, I took one out of a Uniden FRS radio that was the same diameter and is still running for me.

Currently using a 396xt and contemplating upgrading to a 436hp. I live in in NW MN and while the 396 works perfect for armer and vhf locally, I want to upgrade to the 436 for the ability to upgrade to p2 capability if needed. Is the 436 more capable than the 396 with Armer such as decoding TGs faster and scanning rates? For those using a 436 or sds how do you have your scanner setup for Armer?
My 396 is setup with my local site for one Qick key and adjoining counties non their own qk.
How do others have their units setup for armer and is there any reason to upgrade to a 436hp?

thanks
I went straight to an SDS200 just incase they go phase 2, and my home county is Simulcast, bjt i reside in NW MN at the moment

jason_58201

I just couldn’t justify the price of sds vs an bcdx36hp. With so many of the same features at half the price it was an easy decision. The only thing I found the sds had over the x46 was able to decode simulcast (not an issue for me in Crookston yet) and a larger fancier screen. Not worth it for me. But that’s just my opinion. In all honesty I didn’t need to upgrade from my 396xt. At least not yet. While it had limitations with programming ARMER I was able to work around that fairly easy. But having the option to upgrade to dmr and nxdn and the ease of keeping it updated pushed me over the edge for a new scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.