• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber XTS3000 CPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I'm trying to run the above CPS application on XP SP3 in a Virtual window under Windows 10. The application appears to have installed successfully, but when I attempt to run it, I get an immediate error that says "The system cannot find the file specified."

I've double-checked the file locations and the executable is present, so it's probably not the file that can't be found. Any suggestions???

John

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
32-bit OS, not processor.
Runs fine on my x64 CF-30 Toughbook and 32-bit XP (which dual boots x64 Windows just fine) and has for almost 10 years.

quality617

I'm trying to run the above CPS application on XP SP3 in a Virtual window under Windows 10. The application appears to have installed successfully, but when I attempt to run it, I get an immediate error that says "The system cannot find the file specified."

I've double-checked the file locations and the executable is present, so it's probably not the file that can't be found. Any suggestions???

John

Don't know if your still having issues, but I just loaded it on a Dell Inspiron 11 64bit Windows 10. I ran the compatibility program and it suggested installing it under Vista SP2. It installed OK, but I got the same error.

After a little searching, I took the suggestion that the program doesn't do USB connections and plugged in my USB to Serial adapter. Fired right up.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the laptop suggestion

I have all my /\/\oto CPS stuff on a Panasonic Toughbook CF52 running Windows XP 32bit. Have NEVER had a single programming issue to date in 8+ years. It does not go online and is not used for anything else. Pull it out to program, then back in storage. Cost me $65 when I bought it. Truly the best way to go. No adapters or converters. Right through the serial port.

Manny

Last edited:

pallen444

programing

Hi I have a sony vaio running windows 10 pro 32bit with a usb cable works great programing my Motorola xts5000 and xts3000. go in device man and update you usb under ports works when mine acts up.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
If you don't have any com ports available (mapped) on the VM it'll throw that error. I've never been able to get the Astro CPS's functioning on a 64 bit OS. Have always had to use 32 bit base in either a hardware configuration or a VM (XP Mode is pretty reliable on Windows 7 in my experience). Have to get that com port mapped though. 99% of the Astro's I've programmed have been with USB converters. Have yet to have an issue using a IoGear USB to serial adapter (the one actually recommended by Motorola for other products).

Does the XTS3K take the same software as the 5K? Currently trying to find a cheap uhf high 5K but looks like I'm gonna have to put up with a 3k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4RMN

Does the XTS3K take the same software as the 5K? Currently trying to find a cheap uhf high 5K but looks like I'm gonna have to put up with a 3k.

Nope, different software and if you can afford it I recommend spending the money on getting the 5k. The buttons are more responsive, especially the PTT that gives you a tactile click as opposed to the one on the 3k which leaves you wondering if you are keyed up or not if you can't see the light or didn't set the non-secure beep.

Additionally, the 3k does not support Quick Call II (aka Motorola two-tone paging) at all, so you won't be able to set it up to respond to tone outs if your department uses those.

Another plus the 5k has over the 3k is the speed. The power-up cycle and general operating speed of the 5k is much better than the 3k.

Nope, different software and if you can afford it I recommend spending the money on getting the 5k. The buttons are more responsive, especially the PTT that gives you a tactile click as opposed to the one on the 3k which leaves you wondering if you are keyed up or not if you can't see the light or didn't set the non-secure beep.

Additionally, the 3k does not support Quick Call II (aka Motorola two-tone paging) at all, so you won't be able to set it up to respond to tone outs if your department uses those.

Another plus the 5k has over the 3k is the speed. The power-up cycle and general operating speed of the 5k is much better than the 3k.

Thanks. I love my 5K and I have never even seen a 3k in person so that helps a lot!

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I specifically ordered my latest computer as a win 7 32, SPECIFICALLY because astro25 CPS.

And by "my latest" i mean a 6 year old, navy surplus boat anchor laptop.

Its awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.