Audio archives question/suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I love having access to the audio archives but for some rural/less used service feeds it can be extremely tedious to sift through the dead air and actually locate transmissions within. Would it be possible to set it up so dead air gets cut out and only audio is recorded? I'm not sure if it would even be possible but would be a very welcome update.

thesavo

Feed Provider
Hi. I'm a feed provider. My feed archives already have the silence cut when I listen to them. In my experience, if there is any amount of hum in the "silent parts" the system won't cut it. So if there is a high noise floor, it's going to be high.

What can csn do is download the files to your phone or pc, then move them to a podcast player or vlc player. That will let you play then back at a faster speed.

Last edited:

AB5ID

I love having access to the audio archives but for some rural/less used service feeds it can be extremely tedious to sift through the dead air and actually locate transmissions within. Would it be possible to set it up so dead air gets cut out and only audio is recorded? I'm not sure if it would even be possible but would be a very welcome update.
Would love to see this happen. Or even a third party script or program that would pull the files and remove the silence. Back in the '90s when I was using a voice operated tape recorder you could listen to everything that happened overnight in about 30 minutes.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The "trim silence" feature has existed for years on BCFY, however it was not rolled out as an option for all feeds. Originally it was limited to Official Feed providers to optionally implement, but I believe more recently Lindsay enabled it on some feeds to test server load. It's a somewhat intensive process that requires server horsepower to implement across the board on the 7,000+ feeds.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here's the thread where Lindsay explains it. Was enabled for non-public safety feeds.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
The "trim silence" feature has existed for years on BCFY, however it was not rolled out as an option for all feeds. Originally it was limited to Official Feed providers to optionally implement, but I believe more recently Lindsay enabled it on some feeds to test server load. It's a somewhat intensive process that requires server horsepower to implement across the board on the 7,000+ feeds.
Yeah, I could imagine it being a huge undertaking. I was guessing maybe the reward would be much smaller files being stored for a year if it's worth it.

On feeds like Chicago PD that are extremely active it probably wouldn't be worth it, but some that I like to check on sometimes can go an entire night without any activity. Thanks for the response

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
Depending on your use case this might not solve your pblm, but typically I would download the mp3 and open it with Audacity so I can see when people were talking. Just an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.