Audio output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitsud

Just a quick question, is the audio output from the new handheld comparable to the output of the mobile model? Essentially, while using an external speaker can the handheld output the same volume as the mobile? My current handhelds do not put out the volume through an external speaker like the mobile does. Just curious

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Just a quick question, is the audio output from the new handheld comparable to the output of the mobile model? Essentially, while using an external speaker can the handheld output the same volume as the mobile? My current handhelds do not put out the volume through an external speaker like the mobile does. Just curious

As far as I can tell the specifications in the PDFs of the new radios seem to have the same "hearing protection" in the earphone jacks as the old ones did. The earphone jack is the only audio out (besides the speaker of course) for the handheld radios so an external unamplified speaker plugged into the earphone jack will not be very loud. They have dropping resistors to limit how load they can be to protect your hearing when using ear-buds or headphones.

The only possibilities I see are:

1. Wire around the earphone jack (not a good idea for several reasons)
2. Get a 12 volt amplified external speaker (Bearcat or Radio shack both seem to work well)
3. Run the earphone jack audio output to your car sound system, which can be via a cable or Wireless.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
N0UDG is correct. If the headphone out jack put out enough power to drive an unamplified speaker, it would blow out any earbuds/headphones you plugged in (and take your eardrums along for the ride if you were wearing them when you turned it on).

mancow

Database Admin
Anyone who has plugged earphones into a PSR800 while it is set on discriminator output and high volume knows what he means. WOW! I've had days at the range less painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.