Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Is Aurora turning pro-voice back on?

Did anyone else here the traffic on Tac-21 this am? "The dispatcher said looks like your on digital, and the officer responded is that correct and she said yes because we will be moving back to digital soon."

Jim<

Thayne

If they do, I hope it is still messed up. (I bet it will be)

I hate having to take the expensive radio out of the house--

RF-Intel

Yessir! I just dropped in to post on the particular topic. PD switched field units back to digital this morning as planned, dispatchers are still analog at the moment. Also no plans for FD to switch back at the moment.

Also, yikes. I have been so busy recently I must have 300 new threads to wade through from the past few months!

-Mark

jimmnn said:
Is Aurora turning pro-voice back on?

Did anyone else here the traffic on Tac-21 this am? "The dispatcher said looks like your on digital, and the officer responded is that correct and she said yes because we will be moving back to digital soon."

Jim<

SCPD

QRT
I'm not surprised. That has been their plan. They have been working with M/A-Com and a consulting company to get it working. They've been doing testing with a bunch of users on Provoice in the recent past on test talk groups.

We'll see if they like it this time.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Guess the honeymoon was nice while it lasted, back to putting the LPE-200 batteries in the bank charger.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
logitec said:
PD dispatchers using Pretend Voice now too.

Did they get the dispatcher audio issues ironed out or is it about the same as the last time they tried dispatch in digital?

Gonna be a drag for some folks at radshack with people complaining their scanner doesn't work or wondering why their "digital scanner" doesn't work for APD.

If M/A does get this to work right figure Denver will be anxious to go pro-voice when their simulcast system is operational in the next year or 2.

Now let's see how media coverage of crime in Aurora is impacted with no APD dispatch in analog.

This could get interesting.

Phil.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that ProVoice is not part of the Denver upgrade, but they are possibly seeking another "grant" to add PV in the future.
I know from my own research that adding PV costs $700 per radio for the flash code, plus replacing all the radios that aren't PV-capable. Not a cheap upgrade by any means.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
In the current issue of Mobile Radio Technology Dana, who is the manager of Denver PD communications, states that the new system is provoice capable and has like 7 sites or so. I could be wrong, and I don't have my copy of the magazine right here with me, but I think the new system will have everything. The only item not mentioned in the artice is the esk option.

Dave

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Right. "Capable", in MaCom-speak, means that it's optional for that radio or system, not that the feature is included. For example, my P7100 handheld is "PV-capable", but it doesn't do PV because the $700 PV flash code wasn't purchased with the radio.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
BTW, the "system" she's referring to is the repeater system only. The existing mobiles and portables will be used with it.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Gerry your right. Capable means that is can be flashed into the system. I wasn't sure if that was going to reuse the existing fied equipment or not. I had heard earlier that Denver had signed another contract for a simulcast site or two that would just fill in the holes left by the main system. I am sure that is what she is talking about.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Denver throws $25,000,000 at M/A and it's only for the simulcast sites.:confused:

I would expect some some type field equipment enhancements for that price.

As one other person posted here in the forums for that price it would provide P25 site coverage for a portion of the state.

Seems odd that two cities that point out they have budget woes (Aurora and Denver) like throwing millions at M/A.

Phil.

cstockmyer

If I remember right I think at the last meeting it was said they tried this before-going to pro voice-why did they go back?

Thayne

HooRay.

So if they decide to go all the way back to analog, lets hope MA/Com doesn't give em ESK to placate Aurora from wanting money back---

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
The provoice audio today was sounding really crappy. I bet they will be shutting it down here soon. I can only recall what it sounded like originally, but for some reason it seems that the audio quality this time around is worse than before.

cstockmyer

k0pwo said:
The provoice audio today was sounding really crappy. I bet they will be shutting it down here soon. I can only recall what it sounded like originally, but for some reason it seems that the audio quality this time around is worse than before.

I thought you could not scan provoice???

Status
Not open for further replies.