Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

I can only hear the dispatch side of Aurora....So does that mean only Dispatch and Fire has turned off pro voice?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
I can only hear the dispatch side of Aurora....So does that mean only Dispatch and Fire has turned off pro voice?

Fire and EMS units never had it on.

And PD only had switch there mobiles so no provoice digital is still activated but there are lots of comments about the awful quality on the tac channels.

Jim<

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Are the I.T. people that recommended this system still on the city payroll?

At this point they might as well use digital for the super secret squirrel stuff and have patrol on analog.

Phil.

stevie621

I am new with digital scanning so tell me wise men. Why won't Denver, Arvada and a few others go to the state system. That way it would be all tied together.

Thayne

Maybe Trolling, :) It still sounds like crap to me here in South Denver, & I finally bought a new battery from Electro-Comm too.

Thayne

And for you Stevie, You know how your Italian friends make things disappear--They tie em' together so they all sink in togetherness--Maybe thats why :p

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
stevie621 said:
I am new with digital scanning so tell me wise men. Why won't Denver, Arvada and a few others go to the state system. That way it would be all tied together.
Kind of a long story. Goes back to the late 80's-early 90's. Denver had Moto equipment on conventional UHF. There was a falling-out between Denver and Moto, so when the city went trunked 800, they went with GE, who owned the EDACS format. Denver has invested a lot of money into EDACS over the years, both in site improvements and newer equipment. It's a substantial investment. All the while, Moto has tried to get the city back, but never has put together a strong enough proposal to get Denver to abandon the multi-million dollar EDACS investment.
(BTW, Lakewood decided to join Denver on EDACS because they felt it was a better product. Same with Arvada/Westminster. Aurora had a Moto trunked system; they tested the state P25 side-by-side with EDACS. No contest. EDACS won. ProVoice is not exactly the same animal, though, so I'm still scratching my head over that one. IMHO their system works great on analog.)
When the state decided to go trunked, they went with Moto. Personally, I think it was a huge mistake. With Denver already on EDACS, the metro area could have built upon the Denver system for a whole lot less than what they spent, although the cost as you go further out from the big city would level out.
Wouldn't you know, the state official most responsible for selling Moto to his peers and bosses turned right around and went to work for a Moto distributor. Coincidence? I think not.
Throw in the usual Denver vs. the rest of Colorado politics and it's not surprising that things turned out the way they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.