Austin 700Mhz P25 SID 200/ WACN 92571

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
... while the LIDs on the P25 side include '512' as a prefix, called a "region code".

I wondered if that's what the 512 was for... so should we also expect some 979s (Brazos County down to Matagorda County)?

To "talk across" systems using ICall, the region code must be used. All radios on both systems will have the same last four digits, they aren't supposed to repeat.

Are you saying that they might be using radios capable of transmitting in both bands? Not just two different radios? I was wondering if they were using some new radios for this... Neither of the 3- Harris Unity, Thales Liberty, Motorola APX7000, incorporate the 900MHz band into the radio (since it isn't the "public safety" band). I wonder which radio it could be? I just figured they had some new 700/800MHz capable radios as well as the older 900MHz LPE-200s that I see the LCRA subscribers using.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I meant exiting LCRA radios talking to P25 radios on the SAUA P25 system ICalls). From what we've heard it sounds like they are going to patch talkgroups across both systems. I don't know how they'll handle radios from other systems. Perhaps each P25 system will have their own region code??

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
On my way back in to Hays County this evening I was getting some law enforcement traffic on Site 102, talkgroup 1034. As I came up the hill towards my house I was getting a good enough signal for awhile, and I was able to confirm this was a simulcast transmission of LCRA Site 28, talkgroup 777, Hays County Sheriff Dispatch. I confirmed this with an address, unit numbers, simultaneously listening to Site 28 and Site 102. I'll see if this is still happening tonight and through tomorrow.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Site 102- Hays County, talkgroup 1034

Rebroadcast of LCRA EDACS talkgroup 777 Hays County Sheriff's Office Dispatch

Again.

davidbond21

OK, so like a few weeks ago I drove underneath the LCRA 900MHz site in New Braunfels(site 7), and had the scanner tuned to the 700MHz control channel on site 103-003, coming in 99% decode and 5 S-units on the PSR-500. I removed the antenna from my scanner, I was still receiving 99% decode and 5 S-units. As I drove away from the antenna site the reception and decode rapidly faded until I put the antenna back on. We can confirm exactly where Site 103-003 is now for certain.

It would be my guess that because texasemt13 isn't getting any 700MHz control channels off the 900MHz Site right behind his house(with the antenna removed method, which works for the 900MHz), the control channel on site 102-002 that can be heard very strongly in San Marcos could very well be coming from the LCRA Creedmoor site 14. Expanding my guessing game, I can receive site 104-004 and 107-007 from my house, with varying strengths. The other two LCRA 900 MHz sites I can receive are (7) Comal County and (29) Kingsbury. Maybe either of those two sites could house some 700MHz repeaters? When I get the free time(not something I have plenty of lately) to be able to do some driving and hunt down the 900MHz sites, I could definitely try to confirm these theories.

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I agree that 102-002 is most likely at Creedmoor. While my current location in Well's Branch is notoriously bad with low terrain and surrounded by three close towers. However, using Mopac and Parmer as monitoring point, I can get 101-001 at 99%; 102-002 at about 80%. I can also hear sites 104-004 and 113-013 at 10% (site 13 better than 4) - enough to decode basic info like site numbers and peer info. I cannot hear 103-003 at all.

While driving on 290 between IH35 and Mopac today I heard site 13 at 2 bars (sorry no laptop on that trip). Site 1 and 2 were loud and clear. I still think site 13 is east and south of Austin, possibly Smithville. I used to think 4 was south and west, but it could be Kingsbury (not west). I'm very busy this weekend and can't go mobile with a laptop for a couple of days but will try to head out past Bastrop, etc. later to see if I can find 13. I might be able to hit Creedmoor on that trip, as well. I think we'll find all of them are co-located with LCRA sites. I also think the operating radius is 25 miles (42km) rather than 18 miles (30km) on some of these sites. Some of them are pretty loud (powerful).

In the meantime, I'll update the DB with some of this info, just to get it in there. Perhaps, someone else could update the wiki.

Russell

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
After looking at the map, I could see where 4 or 7 could be Comal or Kingsbury as you have suggested. I see in the wiki that 4 and 7 are identified as peers. Seems like we all need a few more days in the week to take the drives to figure these out. I'm also not a fan of "band" licensing such as the one the State has for 700 MHz. It makes it a little easier on them but sure makes it harder to use the FCC DB to identify freqs and locs.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'm betting more and more that 100-002 is located at Creedmoor, I get it intermittently in south Hays County (hilltops) and as I get in to San Marcos I get it pretty good, and great above campus. It has very similar characteristics to the southern fringes of the Creedmoor site.

More talkgroups notes:
1025- heard some law enforcement traffic earlier today, could not identify the source

1034- Hays SO Dispatch (link to 777 on LCRA 900); this is not a constant link and I haven't figured out a pattern.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I'd like to gauge the interest in renaming this system within our database. I think "San Antonio Urban Area Initiative Overlay (SAUA)" is a proper name, but I think a better name can be agreed upon that shows LCRA's role in it's implementation.

While I'm sure that usage would not be limited to current LCRA subscribers, it's also evident, that with the state license, that Texas has a hand in this as well.

Any suggestions for a new name, or should it be left as it is?

As far as we have confirmed, these sites are at existing LCRA sites, and none have been confirmed in San Antonio. It appears to me that this system is going to have coverage from:

I-35 from Austin to New Braunfels
I-10 from Seguin to Columbus
SH71 La Grange (possibly) to Blessing (and greater Bay City/Matagorda County).

LCRA 700MHz Overlay?

I do not doubt that this is part of the larger "San Antonio Urban Area Project 25 (P25) 700 Megahertz (MHz) Multi-region Evacuation/Border Security Initiative" mentioned in the PSIC grant, viewable in pdf here, but I think this is only LCRA's part within that project. The SAUA project itself, should include AACOG, CAPCOG and LCRA. Technically CAPCOG and LCRA have met some semblance of P25 700MHz interoperability. I expect another round of 700MHz P25 sites to appear (and possibly at LCRA sites) along SH71 nothwest of Austin, in the Highland Lakes Area. How AACOG intends to compromise is still speculative.

Again, would others be interested in changing the name of this system in the database to better reflect LCRA's role in this system?

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
I agree with a name change to better reflect what this system is. I now have no doubt this is the LCRA overlay so I would think the title should reflect LCRA.

More updates in the Wiki

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
This system was renamed to SAUA ... to reflect its funding and proposed usage. What name(s) do you propose? I also understand that this is only part of a larger overall system and the LCRA guys just got on the ball first. I am rather curious though, why the first 13 sites went up in a flash, but very little has happened since that time. I am eager for this system to come fully online. We've heard close to nothing regarding when and how it is to be used in quite awhile and the system carries very little traffic. I think texasemt13 hears more than anybody. Lots of money spent here and now it just sits.

Russell

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I too think the name should reflect LCRA's part in this, maybe some title along the lines of "LCRA 700MHz SAUA P25 Overlay?" Maybe shorten it to "LCRA 700MHz SAUA Overlay? Whatever it is should reflect LCRA's ownership. The Wiki can be used to explain the layout and the forums can be for speculating, but the database should be more definitive.

If the system gets more sites, and the ownership/partnership appears to have expanded beyond LCRA it can be changed again to reflect it. As of now this is purely the LCRA system. If AACOG joins this system, with identical site info, we can change the title to reflect that later. As of now, I believe the CAPCOG and LCRA "requirements" for P25 interop, are fulfilled, AACOG is the last one in the SAUA to come on board. I wouldn't doubt it if we hear a system test between GATRRS (or the state master site, "Capitol"), and LCRA sometime soon.

Most of the traffic I've heard on this system has been on Site 102, though I'd bet it was also being carried on North Austin (101).

Thanks go out to Pacrat for taking the time to identify all the site locations.

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
Active radio testing on the system right now

Wasn't able to catch everything, but testing on 5 channels from the Creedmoor site, then tech stated off to the next site...should be a good time to capture some good Pro96Com data if anyone else out there has it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.