Aviation scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike619

Which is best to monitor the airport towers,ground GCA's etc and most rewarding?

kma371

QRT
Which is best to monitor the airport towers,ground GCA's etc and most rewarding?

That question depends on what it is you are wanting to hear. What's rewarding to me, may not be rewarding to you. If you want to hear movement on the ground, listen to the ground controllers. If you want to hear what's coming and going, listen to the tower.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

subjective. like the other op said, really depends on what you like. some people think air traffic is not exciting as it tends to be quick and by the book so to speak. i listen to it all. railroad also.

i know one op who is happy listening to a boring little town where nothing much happens but the sheriff calling in gallons of fuel he put in his car. guy is excited about that and thinks his scanning is the best in the nation. he also drinks tea at McD's EVERY day and thinks that's exciting. it's the old motorcycle adage which is also true in scanning, "we all cant wear black and ride the same motorcycle!" to each his own...

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Whenever I'm by the airport I scan all the main frequencies (tower, arrivals, departures, ground etc). There's usually something of interest on all of them. I have no favorite.

I also like listening to the big aircraft up at cruising altitude. (Flight level 360 and above). You can hear them from hundreds of miles away. There's very little in the way of voice traffic. Usually they just announce their call sign as they move from sector to sector. But, I like looking them up on Flightradar24 as I hear them to see where they are. https://www.flightradar24.com/

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Whenever I'm by the airport I scan all the main frequencies (tower, arrivals, departures, ground etc). There's usually something of interest on all of them. I have no favorite.

I also like listening to the big aircraft up at cruising altitude. (Flight level 360 and above). You can hear them from hundreds of miles away. There's very little in the way of voice traffic. Usually they just announce their call sign as they move from sector to sector. But, I like looking them up on Flightradar24 as I hear them to see where they are. https://www.flightradar24.com/

flightradar24 is awesome. great way to combine scanning with the realtime visual. great point!!!!

movinon

Premium Subscriber
Does flight radar track military also?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.