Avon Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody pick up anything on their TRS yet?
Looks like it is a two site simulcast TRS.
It is an SY code for the TRS.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Anybody pick up anything on their TRS yet?
Looks like it is a two site simulcast TRS.
It is an SY code for the TRS.

If somebody had picked up anything on it, it would likely have already been reported (and added to the RRDB). Did you program it in? P25 Phase II.

Mike

Yes as a P25 TRS and also tried to see if there would be any active control frequencies by programming in each frequency as conventional. Not sure how strong the transmissions are of if even there are any as of yet. I think I was able to pick up Avon/Avon Lake and maybe even the two Sheffields when they were on conventional frequencies. Just odd that they would do that, considering that Avon already has a presence on MARCS.

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
The 4 cities on 154.400 (Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield Village, and Sheffield Lake) along with North Ridgeville (423.400) will be moving to this system. As of now it will just be fire departments, but of course PD and others could be added

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
What are the other frequencies for? There are several 700Mhz and 800Mhz as well.

The other frequencies (800 mhz) are irrelevant. They are MO (mobile) frequencies. mobiles transmit on the 80x freqs and receive on the 77x freqs. The repeaters transmit on the 77x freqs and receive on the 80x freqs. You only need to know the 700 mhz freqs.

m

The 4 cities on 154.400 (Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield Village, and Sheffield Lake) along with North Ridgeville (423.400) will be moving to this system. As of now it will just be fire departments, but of course PD and others could be added
Oh. So this will be like the Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center, where FDs are dispatched on a group talkgroup and PDd are dispatched on the regular city talkgroups?

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
Oh. So this will be like the Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center, where FDs are dispatched on a group talkgroup and PDd are dispatched on the regular city talkgroups?
As of now it's FD only. Not sure how the TGs will be setup

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Anybody pick up anything on their TRS yet? Looks like it is a two site simulcast TRS. It is an SY code for the TRS.

This license was granted just over a month ago; there's no way it's going to be on the air already. Most vendors won't even start ordering the equipment until the licensing is at least in the pending stages at the FCC, and usually not until the license is granted.

A few radio shops aren't as particular about that sort of thing, but at the system level, the local radio shop is only a go-between to the buyer and the vendor (Motorola, Harris/Tait, EFJ/Kenwood and so on).

Best case, my guess is that you're looking at a few months minimum before anything could possibly be on the air, and that assumes the towers are already in place. Realistically you're probably looking at later this year.

Last edited:

RT48

The local newspaper The Westlife reports this project has been put on hold because all the municipalities involved have experienced a drop in revenue due to the pandemic. The Westlife hasn't updated their web site sine February so the article is not available online.

Here's a scanned PDF of the article.

Attachments

• Article.pdf
    807.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
I heard traffic tonight on 773.98125. I sounded like fire department traffic? Maybe. I'm also picking up a dead carrier on 774.70625 with a NAC of 344. Did anyone else pick up traffic on the new 700 Mhz channels?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I heard traffic tonight on 773.98125. I sounded like fire department traffic? Maybe. I'm also picking up a dead carrier on 774.70625 with a NAC of 344. Did anyone else pick up traffic on the new 700 Mhz channels?

773.98125 NAC 344 is a freq for the New London (Ashland Co) MARCS site. So you weren't hearing anything from Avon.

And, 774.70625 NAC 344 is the control channel for the New London (Ashland) MARCS Site. You were hearing nothing on it because your scanner is muting the control channel audio.

Mike

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
Does this mean the towers that Avon is installing will be MARCS towers?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Does this mean the towers that Avon is installing will be MARCS towers?

No, it doesn't mean anything like that. It _could_ be a MARCS site in the future, but I doubt it. It could become part of the Parma-Ottawa-Medina P25 system. It could be a standalone P25 system. You won't know until it's online.

Mike

N8WCP

Premium Subscriber
The proposed system will be a standalone two site Harris P25 TDMA supporting Avon Lake, Avon, Sheffield Lake, Sheffield Village, and North Ridgeville.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Looks like it's still in the planning / procurement stage, at least as of September.

Here is an excerpt from Avon Lake board minutes of September:

September 28, 2020 Council Meeting Minutes7 Temporary Legislation #11422, AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR TO ENTER INTO AN AGREEMENT WITH CLEVELAND COMMUNICATIONS, INC. AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY, was read by title only.Mr. Kos moved for suspension of the rule requiring three readings.Yes: O’Donnell, Zuber, Arnold, David, Fenderbosch, Kos, SpaetzelNo: None Motion carried.Mr. Kos moved for passage of Temporary Legislation #11422. This legislation authorizes the Mayor to enter an agreement with Cleveland Communications, Inc. of Parma, Ohio in the amount of $767,171.55 to establish a regional radio system. Each participating municipality is responsible for one-fifth of this amount, or $153,434.31, which will be paid in three installments of 25%, 65%, and 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.