Back again - Now learning to shoot after S.O. @ my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

Well, I'm back here on RR after being absent since Sept.

Gotta post some pics of my 2010 Taurus w/ RH-96. Company car, not mine.

Had to have Troup County Sheriff Dept come take a report. We'll just call it a very ugly letter addressed to a family member.

After that evening, been busy with work, family, and learning how to shoot a gun.

Got my wife a J-Frame S/W 38. Also Mossberg HS-410 which is a home defense weapon with foregrip for pulling one into the chamber. Three 000-buckshot at 1200-fps+ is a nasty load heading to bad guy.
I've got my eyes on Glock-19 which Gen-4 is coming out this summer.

After having the S-O out here and getting my wife a pistol, I have been doing tons of studying on YouTube re- shooting. Attended school w/ my wife @ Talon Training Group in Tallahassee. Got home defense training too. YouTube - look up Talon Training Group. Home Page

Ga Firearms Licensee (G.F.L. / a.k.a. Concealed Carry Permit)

I'm thinking of "naming" myself - B.A.T.F. 55 after some of the things I enjoy the most in addition to scanning.

B-arbecue,
A-lcohol (beer, gotta stay cool while bbq-ing)
T-obacco (cigar),
F-irearms (Glock)
55 - (Birth)

Stay Safe!!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Before you go for the Glock 19, check out the Glock 23 in .40 S&W...nice round, doesn't kick much more than a 9mm and will stop someone a lot faster than a 9mm.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm partial to the Glock 22, also a 40 caliber. Did you get the pistol grip for the Mossberg? Also, nothing deters a bad guy than the sound of someone chambering a round in a shotgun!

Julian1

Arming up after the law was here...

No sir.... the Moss has shoulder stock which I was told by the training folks at Talon was better for aiming.
The pistol grips look cool and are fun to shoot though.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I don't recommended a shot gun of any kind being used indoors, especially in a close quarters gun fight. SWAT teams absolutely do not use shot guns indoors unless they are using a breach round on a door..which is rare.
Not only will BB's penetrate nearly any material in your home, many will ricochet of metals causing inury to you. Buck shot will near right through all interior doors and drywall. You might end up hitting a family member even if your shooting at the other end of the house or even the other direction.
Our team has done extensive CQB training in shoot houses using various materials and have found this to be very true.
I would stick with one pistol you shoot well or if you have more than one pistol stick with one caliber. I personally have always carried 45 on and off duty.
The bottom line is unless your mentally prepared to be in a real shooting no amount of shooting at a paper target will prepare you for it. Ive been there and its totally different with 90 gallons of adrenaline pumping. Unless your training has been so extensive that CQB is just muscle memory, your out of luck.

rmiller818

Since I am not well versed in ballistics, I have to ask about this. Would a bullet from either a handgun or a more powerful rifle also be capable of penetrating most interior building materials and possibly injuring someone in another room? Seems to me buckshot would not have as much penetrating power.

N8IAA

Since I am not well versed in ballistics, I have to ask about this. Would a bullet from either a handgun or a more powerful rifle also be capable of penetrating most interior building materials and possibly injuring someone in another room? Seems to me buckshot would not have as much penetrating power.

Handguns and rifles can penetrate multiple walls, including your neighbor's house. Shotguns limit it to a smaller area. As well as, going through walls. The caveat being that you hit your target and kept the pellets from going much further;)
Larry

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I have the Winchester 20 guage "Home Defender" shotgun that works well! No kick at all, easy to use in home defense.
My wife has the "baby Glock" 9mm and loves it! I have the 23, Ruger P95dc, Taurus 38 (4" barrel and snub with no hammer). Great gear!

N

N_Jay

What about something fairly low on the lethal side, like a 20 gauge with Rabbit or Squirrel shot?.

My guess is most home invasions are unarmed and at night.
The muzzle flash is going to blind him, the sound is going to deafen him, and the pain should make him fairly sure he knows he was shot.

It probably won't make it through both sides of a wall to keep others safe.

rmiller818

Handguns and rifles can penetrate multiple walls, including your neighbor's house. Shotguns limit it to a smaller area. As well as, going through walls. The caveat being that you hit your target and kept the pellets from going much further;)
Larry

That's what I was thinking, which is why I was wondering why procopper was against shotguns inside.

cfr301

The Round Least Likely to pass through a person inside of a house and penetrate walls would be the 45ACP they tend to stay in what they hit and a double tap from a 45 tends in MOST cases to drop the person being shot. As with anything firearms NOTHING is absolute. A shot gun, inside a house is VERY Dangerous depending on the round and the application its used for you could have anywhere from 9 to 28 projectiles or more flying out of a shot gun discharge.

Rick

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I taught my wife to keep squeezing the trigger on the Glock until the slide locks back. After 11 rounds, I'm quite sure she would have hit the bad guy (or me!).

Julian1

Shotgun or pistol in home defense

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Yes, my wife and I are both prepared to take a life if needed.

During the Firearms Safety Course we were took at Talon Training that...

One does not shoot to kill.
One does not shoot to injure.
**** The ONLY reason to shoot is to STOP THE THREAT. If they survive, great. If they don't, too bad.

Serious thought given to weapon choice for inside home use. First, a gun fight anywhere is dangerous. Certainly in a home. The shotgun chosen is a .410 Mossberg HS-410. This weapon is loaded with 2-1/2 inch (3 in possible) using three 000 buckshot. The law enforcement professionals of Talon Training Group in Tallahassee, FL told us it is an excellent weapon. A good "castle gun".

No, .410's aren't used in movies or carried by police. A .410, as the .20-ga is an easy weapon to control by my wife. For our situation, for the positions in our house, this weapon makes sense. Over penetration through walls or the home's siding is a big concern of ours. Ergo .410.

9-mm Corbon 115-grain hollow point very effective load. From the reading I've done, Mass Ayoob and two other (names I can't recall), gentlemen wrote article based upon ballistic studies. Damaging wound trauma without over penetration... my reason for selecting this ammo.

357-mag, .357-Sig, .40-cal, .45-cal, and 10-mm all are great loads and very, very damaging to a bad guy.

If anyone thinks a 9-mm w/ hollow points won't do anything, then let's see what it does on a "volunteer", I read in one article.

Oh to choose... light and fast (115-gr !1250-fps) or heavy and slower. Velocity is what I've heard creates the spread of the hollow point. So if a 115-gr spreads out inside the bad guy, and stops like a jagged metal parachuge in the upper chest X 4 rounds, he's having a sucky day for sure.

I'm not a big guy. I don't have big strong arms or big hands so the 9-mm is one I can control very well.

Shot placement is the key. Practice, train, practice, train. Shooting under Critical Stress while your hands are trembling (fight or flight) require one to be good with a gun.

Reading I've done advise that under Critical Stress, you'll be about HALF as good as you are on your BEST day on the range.

I had to chuckle when I realized a story in the bible points to the importance of shot placement. Seems a young man named David had to take out a bad dude. All he had was a Glock....uh, make that a Rock and he slayed that bad ole' giant with a single strike between the eyes. So, see...even the "good book" emphasizes shot placement.

I much appreciate your comments and words of support. Stay safe gentlemen!

rescuecomm

Being sure of your target and having weapons secured around children are parts of the equation too. As far as overpenetration goes, the proliferation of high capacity handguns makes that a mute point. Most of the rounds fired in gunfights don't hit the bad guy anyway.

Bob

Julian1

Frangible Ammunition / U.S. AirMarshalls

I forgot to mention frangible ammunition. Bullets that can break apart when striking hard objects like wall board.

There are such loads used by U.S. AirMarshalls. Rounds that will kill but not go through the skin of an airplane. They crumble into a powder like material. Required ammo at Thunder Ranch school in the northwest (Oregon or Washington?).

I have seen info that compares the wound pattern to that of a shotgun. Not the power, the wound pattern. Pretty nasty.

This would be my load for when I'm staying overnight in a hotel or at home.

Talon Training Group / Home Page

Talon Training Group on YouTube / YouTube - talontraininggroup's Channel

Talon Training Group On-Line Store / Talon Training Group, LLC

rescuecomm

I thought guns and radios were a natural thing, like peanut butter and chocolate. I guess it might be a bit off topic since there is not a tactical radio use forum.

Bob

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The post was about the OP on why he hadn't been here in a while. If you monitor the system where he lives and you hear a shooting, then it's scanner related! :)

Back in my EMS days, when we would roll on a signal 50 (shooting), we would always try to ascertain what caliber the victim was shot with. A large caliber round would tend to have a straight line penetration - it would go straight through you - small hole in, big mess coming out. A small caliber round (read .22) tends to strike bone and bounce around inside the body. If you got shot in the upper torso, it's a good possibility it may take a trip through your body and come out lord knows where.

Status
Not open for further replies.