back at it again, what scanner to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetscanner

Since things have moved digital, my old analog scanners are no longer as useful and i'm a bit in the dark about the modern digital system and what I need to listen to it. I want to monitor Pearland police and fire and the Brazoria County Sheriff

Brazoria County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Looks like I need a scanner that will monitor the trunk system. TxWARN

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I don't mind buying used at all. Can you guys throw me some model numbers that will work with what I want to listen to? It looks like the range is $250-$350 for a DECENT option.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Since things have moved digital, my old analog scanners are no longer as useful and i'm a bit in the dark about the modern digital system and what I need to listen to it. I want to monitor Pearland police and fire and the Brazoria County Sheriff

Brazoria County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Looks like I need a scanner that will monitor the trunk system. TxWARN

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) Motorola Trunking System, Metro Houston area, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I don't mind buying used at all. Can you guys throw me some model numbers that will work with what I want to listen to? It looks like the range is $250-$350 for a DECENT option.
Actually, that is the "old" system. The one you need to aim for is this one:
Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

You will need a P25 Phase II capable scanner. Pearland is on the system I linked, and they are using Phase II talkgroups. You can tell that by looking at the Mode column for the talkgroups. Any TGID with a T in the mode column is using P25 Phase II. If it is a D, then the ID is normally used as P25 Phase I. Those labeled with an E are encrypted, and cannot be monitored with any scanner.

While most of the Brazoria County S.O. talkgroups as labeled as D, P25 Phase I, there are a coupled labeled as Phase II, T. Pearland is all Phase II, with a few showing Encrypted. From what I've seen posted, both in the Texas Forum, as well as on the HoustonScan Yahoo group, all users of the system will be expected tg migrate to Phase II over the next year or two.

Used would be your cheapest option, starting with perhaps the PSR-800 or RadioShack Pro-668. Just bear in mind that the PSR800 was discontinued a number of years ago, when the manufacturer, GRE, went out of business. While the PRO668 is a 'current' model, sold through RadioShack, the Shack has all but abandoned support for scanners. Repair support for either of these could be problematical. If buying used, purchase from a reputable dealer or person, and make sure that the scanner you receive works and has all necessary components.

The Pro668 is manufactured by Whistler, and their equivalent models are the WS1080 and WS1088 (the 1088 has a keypad; the ws1080 does not). For the two Whistler scanners, you can get a no charge upgrade to DMR, which would let you monitor MotoTRBO users, which is used by a lot of business and industrial users, such as the refineries in your area. All of these scanners are handheld (portable) models.

Whistler also has the WS1095, a base/mobile scanner, and the WS1098, which is the same as the 1095, but with a keypad added. They also have the TRX-1 (handheld) and TRX-2 (base/mobile), which are the newest models. All of these current Whistler models a DMR upgrade available, with the TRX-1 & TRX-2 also having a NXDN upgrade available.

In the Uniden product line, the BCD325P2 (handheld) and BCD996P2 (base/mobile) can handle P25 Phase II. The same applies to the Home Patrol-2, as well as the BCD436HP (handheld) and BCD536HP (base/Mobile). All of these, except for the HP-2, have an available DMR upgrade, at a current cost of $60.00

jetscanner

Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25) Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

You will need a P25 Phase II capable scanner. Pearland is on the system I linked, and they are using Phase II talkgroups. You can tell that by looking at the Mode column for the talkgroups. Any TGID with a T in the mode column is using P25 Phase II. If it is a D, then the ID is normally used as P25 Phase I. Those labeled with an E are encrypted, and cannot be monitored with any scanner.

While most of the Brazoria County S.O. talkgroups as labeled as D, P25 Phase I, there are a coupled labeled as Phase II, T. Pearland is all Phase II, with a few showing Encrypted. From what I've seen posted, both in the Texas Forum, as well as on the HoustonScan Yahoo group, all users of the system will be expected tg migrate to Phase II over the next year or two.

Used would be your cheapest option, starting with perhaps the PSR-800 or RadioShack Pro-668. Just bear in mind that the PSR800 was discontinued a number of years ago, when the manufacturer, GRE, went out of business. While the PRO668 is a 'current' model, sold through RadioShack, the Shack has all but abandoned support for scanners. Repair support for either of these could be problematical. If buying used, purchase from a reputable dealer or person, and make sure that the scanner you receive works and has all necessary components.

The Pro668 is manufactured by Whistler, and their equivalent models are the WS1080 and WS1088 (the 1088 has a keypad; the ws1080 does not). For the two Whistler scanners, you can get a no charge upgrade to DMR, which would let you monitor MotoTRBO users, which is used by a lot of business and industrial users, such as the refineries in your area. All of these scanners are handheld (portable) models.

Whistler also has the WS1095, a base/mobile scanner, and the WS1098, which is the same as the 1095, but with a keypad added. They also have the TRX-1 (handheld) and TRX-2 (base/mobile), which are the newest models. All of these current Whistler models a DMR upgrade available, with the TRX-1 & TRX-2 also having a NXDN upgrade available.

In the Uniden product line, the BCD325P2 (handheld) and BCD996P2 (base/mobile) can handle P25 Phase II. The same applies to the Home Patrol-2, as well as the BCD436HP (handheld) and BCD536HP (base/Mobile). All of these, except for the HP-2, have an available DMR upgrade, at a current cost of $60.00

AWESOME info. Much appreciated!!! I'll start googling/ebaying/craigslisting around. The 668 seems to be a go to popular one as I see it mentioned quite a bit. Hmm...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
AWESOME info. Much appreciated!!! I'll start googling/ebaying/craigslisting around. The 668 seems to be a go to popular one as I see it mentioned quite a bit. Hmm...
Besides eBay & Craig's list, don't overlook other possibilities, like a pawn shop that really does not know what those units are, or at least a what they might sell for. Other options include garage/yard sales, or estate sales, where they are more focused on getting rid of leftover items than on trying to maximize a profit.

jetscanner

Total bummer that Pearland is encrypted. I guess that explains why theres no feeds on the net of them. I wonder why some elect to encrypt while others dont.

Anyway, it looks like the Pro 668 is what ill get. Just seems like a safe bet. (Unless ofcourse it breaks).

SirGary

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a whistler ws1065 a few days ago,The guy at the dealer said it comes pre programmed but when I said something about DMR he didn't say much,Since I am new at digital scanning I hope I am good to go when I begin to use it.Anyone out there know about DMR.?
Gary

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I ordered a whistler ws1065 a few days ago,The guy at the dealer said it comes pre programmed but when I said something about DMR he didn't say much,Since I am new at digital scanning I hope I am good to go when I begin to use it.Anyone out there know about DMR.?
Gary
While the WS1065 is a good P25 Phase I scanner, which is what you need for AWIN, it is not upgradable for DMR. I see that Cabot FD is listed as using a channel both as an analog channel, and also DMR at times on the same frequency. The county to your northwest, Faulkner, has quite a few DMR listings.

Scanners that will do DMR, after an upgrade, include Whistler's WS1080, WS1088, WS1095, WS1098, TRX-1, and TRX-2. Whistler provides the upgrade at no charge. The TRX-1 & TRX-2 can also get an update for NXDN (I did not see listed users for that format in your county or the adjacent ones).

These Uniden scanners can get an upgrade for DMR, though there is a $60 licensing fee to get the key for that option: BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, and 536HP.

The WS1065 does not come pre-programmed with your area's frequencies, unless you also purchased the programming option from the dealer at an extra cost. The Whistler 1080, 1088, 1095, 1098, as well as Uniden's BCD436HP & BCD536HP, have the RadioReference database stored on a memory card, and can be programmed by your location.

There are also active threads in the Whistler & RadioShack forums about upgrading the older GRE manufactured PSR800 to handle DMR, and also the RadioShack Pro-668.

Status
Not open for further replies.