Baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

west-pac

This situation baffles me. I have a sweet spot 110 miles away, where I receive 4 or 5 radio systems almost 24/7 in this red circled area. My omnidirectional antenna is only 25 feet AGL, and 120 feet from my antenna, in that direction, is a section of woods 60-80 feet tall. I have 60-80 foot tall trees to the east, wrapping around the south, all the way to the northwest direction from my antenna, yet somehow I receive this area 110 miles away to the WSW almost 24/7. These systems are VHF, 5 different agencies, and 5 different transmitting locations, according to their FCC licenses. Anyone else have a similar situation like this?

Attachments

• 20201107_233201.jpg
    20201107_233201.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 51

RFI-EMI-GUY

Have you put the coordinates into Google Earth and looked at the terrain between? The elevation may be very high on one end.

west-pac

I just clicked on a few random spots around Danville, IL and Williamsport, IN; surprisingly one area I clicked on near Williamsport was 'Tower Rd'. I looked up a Danville tower site location as well. Everything I saw in that region was between 600-700ft ASL.

Another area I've been receiving frequently, as of late, are the counties just west, and south west, of Indy.

I'm not complaining. LoL. It just surprises me, with the area of tall trees that surround my property to the south/southwest/west. I wish I knew of a good way to plot locations on a map of when/where I have received signals from. I'll have to see what happens when the foliage comes back on the trees over the next month. That would be interesting to see over time.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
In late fall/early winter 2019 I was driving in the evening with my car radio on. I got a news station nice and clear so I left it on. I heard a traffic report, talking about routes and highways that I never heard of before. Then sports came on, they talked about the Steelers, then the Penguins and Sidney Crosby being injured. It was then I realized it was a Pittsburgh station, which is only odd since I live 450 miles away near Boston. Confirmed when they did station identification, if I remember right it was CBS Pittsburgh. I was able to listen to it several days in a row, clearer at night than daytime which wasn't surprising. Skip is fun

merlin

RF can be some strange stuff and you might consider the transmit power and radiation patterns for these systems. Don't forget wide area may have simulcast and go well beyond your circle.

west-pac

I'd like those frequencies if you don't mind. Thx!!

Off the top of my head,
151.055 Danville, IL PD DMR.
154.755 Vermillion Co, IL SD DMR.
151.040 (Indiana, near attica/williamsburg) County Highway Dept GPS coordinates DMR.

west-pac

This morning, for the first time, I'm receiving IL StarCom sites: 2.2 LeRoy, IL, and 2.4 Danville, IL. with my CX333 vertical antenna, and my Wilson 800Mhz beam that is pointed nearly due north at Fort Wayne, IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.